Re: [mythsoc] anecdotal

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2005
      In a message dated 2/22/2005 12:05:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      lunacy2@... writes:

      I will popup to once more put forth the fact that even now the
      sales of Tolkien's books are higher than they were before the movies. They
      aren't
      at the level they reached during the heights of the films' publicity, but
      they are
      higher than they were beforehand as for example some kids who saw the movies
      are
      growing older and seeking out the books.
      I am of course speaking from my experience of sixteen years as a bookseller
      for two different
      bookchains and at four different stores.
      The Jackson films definitely have had an effect on sales. I cannot speak
      for
      what reaction the new readers have after they've read the books.

      Does anybody have the sales figures of Tolkien's books? This list should go
      back far enough to be well before the Jackson films. I'd prefer world
      sales, but I'll accept American sales.