Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2000
      When I put the word "succarath" into the search engine at www.google.com, I
      get a page from an Argentinian web site. It's in Spanish, which I can't
      read, but here's the relevant paragraph:

      > En el tomo I, páginas 285-286 de la mencionada obra (edición
      > Lamas, Buenos Aires, 1873) encontramos sobre la fiera
      > patagónica, entre otros el siguiente párrafo: "En los confines de
      > la provincia del Río de la Plata, hácia los patagones, se halla un
      > animal muy fiero llamado Sú ó según otros Succarath, y anda
      > comunmente hacia la ribera de los ríos.

      Here's the URL for this page:

      http://www.argiropolis.com.ar/ameghino/obras/ameghino/neom.htm

      Wendell Wagner
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2000
        In a message dated 3/29/00 6:18:13 PM Central Standard Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        > The Su, with its woman's head, tiger forequarters, wolf
        > hindquarters, palm frond tail and toad-headed offspring, was exotic,

        I think "exotic" is putting it mildly.

        Down the BART with Lisa Goldstein,
        Mary S
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2000
          My Spanish is not that great, but here's a stab at a translation of
          Wendell's quoted paragraph:

          In v. 1, p. 285-286 of the above-mentioned work (published by Lamas,
          Buenos Aires, 1873), among the wild beasts of Patagonia, is listed among
          others the following: "In the confines of the province of Rio de la
          Plata, towards Patagonia, is a very fierce animal called Su, or according
          to others Succarath, and it mostly hangs around the riverbanks."

          David Bratman