Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1813

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2005
      Quoting John Ratelife:

      ><Ted Sherman wrote>
      >did not enjoy the books. Too much description, too little
      >action, too slow, not interesting, boring, etc..--
      >
      >I heard comments like those from my fellow students on just about every work
      >of literature I was assigned at a college level. Enthusiasm for mandatory
      >reading can be pretty thin on the ground; I wouldn't take it too seriously.

      David Bratman wrote:
      Did Ted get those reactions in such quantity BEFORE the Age of Jackson?

      Oh, sure, you always have some who don't want to read period, but usually in
      a fantasy course (and students can choose among many courses--my fantasy
      lit, southern lit, detective fiction, sci-fi, etc.) students are already
      readers (of sorts at least) who are able to tackle lengthy works full of
      description. So, my answer to David is, no, before Jackson the majority of
      the students had read Tolkien; and usually those who didn't had read someone
      like Jordan, Donaldson, Brooks, etc., and when they discovered Tolkien it
      was like the light coming on upstairs (for most of them, not all).

      My experience is simply that overall PJ's films have not done Tolkien any
      real favors in terms of new, appreciative readers. I know there are some,
      but I think they're the minority.

      Ted
      Dr. Ted Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Professor, Department of English
      Box 041, Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37130
      615 898.2653
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...