Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2000
      At 7:15 PM -0500 3/29/00, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
      >From: ERATRIANO@...
      >

      >Now, except for the part about the bushy tail, I'm thinking it sounds like a
      >tree sloth. I don't know much about the Patagonian fauna. Anybody want to
      >hazard some guesses?

      Well, if the last ground sloths weren't dead at the time. . . Their
      most recent remains were found mummified in Patagonia.

      ====================================
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      sschaper@...
      members.delphi.com/sschaper/web/sschaper.html
      ====================================
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2000
        When I put the word "succarath" into the search engine at www.google.com, I
        get a page from an Argentinian web site. It's in Spanish, which I can't
        read, but here's the relevant paragraph:

        > En el tomo I, páginas 285-286 de la mencionada obra (edición
        > Lamas, Buenos Aires, 1873) encontramos sobre la fiera
        > patagónica, entre otros el siguiente párrafo: "En los confines de
        > la provincia del Río de la Plata, hácia los patagones, se halla un
        > animal muy fiero llamado Sú ó según otros Succarath, y anda
        > comunmente hacia la ribera de los ríos.

        Here's the URL for this page:

        http://www.argiropolis.com.ar/ameghino/obras/ameghino/neom.htm

        Wendell Wagner
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2000
          In a message dated 3/29/00 6:18:13 PM Central Standard Time,
          ERATRIANO@... writes:

          > The Su, with its woman's head, tiger forequarters, wolf
          > hindquarters, palm frond tail and toad-headed offspring, was exotic,

          I think "exotic" is putting it mildly.

          Down the BART with Lisa Goldstein,
          Mary S
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2000
            My Spanish is not that great, but here's a stab at a translation of
            Wendell's quoted paragraph:

            In v. 1, p. 285-286 of the above-mentioned work (published by Lamas,
            Buenos Aires, 1873), among the wild beasts of Patagonia, is listed among
            others the following: "In the confines of the province of Rio de la
            Plata, towards Patagonia, is a very fierce animal called Su, or according
            to others Succarath, and it mostly hangs around the riverbanks."

            David Bratman