Andre Norton enters home hospice

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2005
      Andre Norton was admitted to the hospital a couple of weeks ago with
      a flu which progressed to a more serious respiratory infection.
      Although her condition improved for a while, it appears that she is
      now weakening. She has been released from the hospital to home
      hospice care.

      Xenite.Org was home to the first dedicated Andre Norton community on
      the Internet, and our Andre Norton forum at SF-FANDOM serves as the
      hub for her online fan community.

      If this proves to be Andre's time to leave us, Xenite.Org will
      observe a 24-hour blackout in her honor. The Xenite.Org site will
      shut down all services and leave a message directing people to visit
      Andre's Web site and the Andre Norton Forum.

      Andre's caretaker, Sue, has been posting updates about her health and
      progress on the Andre Norton Forum:

      http://www.sf-fandom.com/vb/authors/andre_norton/

      SF-FANDOM will remain active through any period of mourning.

      Andre's official Web site is located at:

      http://www.andre-norton.org/

      I don't plan on announcing this news all over the Internet, but I
      know many people on this list have loved Andre's stories through the
      years and know the huge contribution she has made to science fiction
      and fantasy.

      She is one of my all-time favorite authors and was truly the first
      author to fully ignite my interest in science fiction and fantasy.
      She had recently begun writing again and I was hopeful she would have
      a few creative years left. You have my permission to pass this on if
      you know of a community that would be interested.

      To be honest, some part of me still wants to see her celebrate her
      100th birthday. I will keep hope until the end.

      My best wishes to everyone.
    • Bill West
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2005
        Sad news indeed. I think I read every Andre Norton book I could
        find at three different Boston Public Library branches near my
        home as a kid, and when I started buying books for myself, I
        made it a point to buy every one of those books I loved back then.
        If it is indeed her time, she will be missed by many people.
        Bill
        West
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
          Thank you Michael !!

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
            THank you for this post.

            Like others here, I read everything I could of hers when I was young
            and still have many of the classic Web World paperbacks at hand.

            While others have come and gone with flash and hype, her's was a quiet
            understated presence.

            My prayers will be with her.

            Steve

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@x> wrote:

            > Andre Norton was admitted to the hospital a couple of weeks ago with
            > a flu which progressed to a more serious respiratory infection.
            > Although her condition improved for a while, it appears that she is
            > now weakening. She has been released from the hospital to home
            > hospice care.
            >
            > Xenite.Org was home to the first dedicated Andre Norton community on
            > the Internet, and our Andre Norton forum at SF-FANDOM serves as the
            > hub for her online fan community.
            >
            > If this proves to be Andre's time to leave us, Xenite.Org will
            > observe a 24-hour blackout in her honor. The Xenite.Org site will
            > shut down all services and leave a message directing people to visit
            > Andre's Web site and the Andre Norton Forum.
            >
            > Andre's caretaker, Sue, has been posting updates about her health and
            > progress on the Andre Norton Forum:
            >
            > http://www.sf-fandom.com/vb/authors/andre_norton/
            >
            > SF-FANDOM will remain active through any period of mourning.
            >
            > Andre's official Web site is located at:
            >
            > http://www.andre-norton.org/
            >
            > I don't plan on announcing this news all over the Internet, but I
            > know many people on this list have loved Andre's stories through the
            > years and know the huge contribution she has made to science fiction
            > and fantasy.
            >
            > She is one of my all-time favorite authors and was truly the first
            > author to fully ignite my interest in science fiction and fantasy.
            > She had recently begun writing again and I was hopeful she would have
            > a few creative years left. You have my permission to pass this on if
            > you know of a community that would be interested.
            >
            > To be honest, some part of me still wants to see her celebrate her
            > 100th birthday. I will keep hope until the end.
            >
            > My best wishes to everyone.
          • karlstar2
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
              I enjoyed her works too, though I suppose I'm one of the few that
              enjoyed Quag Keep. I think we're about to lose a lot of good authors
              in the coming years.
            • Michael Martinez
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2005
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "karlstar2" <jalaubacker@m...> wrote:

                > I enjoyed her works too, though I suppose I'm one of the few that
                > enjoyed Quag Keep. I think we're about to lose a lot of good
                authors
                > in the coming years.

                I haven't met many people who really liked it, but I did. I enjoyed
                the fact that she was being experimental. I had heard about Dungeons
                and Dragons but had not played it by the time I read this book.

                As of the last time I checked, there has been no reported change in
                Andre's health. I have been encouraging fans to write to her. The
                last time the doctors thought they might lose her, a massive fan
                letter writing campaign lifted her spirits and she recovered.

                It's just hard to let go of someone like Andre, although maybe she is
                ready to move on. I don't know.

                --
                Michael Martinez
                Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2005
                  I wrote her a note last time. Her books were my first introduction to
                  science fiction, and when I learned she was a librarian -- well, that's
                  what I decided to be. You used to be able to send an email through
                  andre-norton.org, but it hasn't been updated since April 2004. Here's an
                  address for cards and flowers as listed on Xenite.org: Andre Norton, c/o
                  Sue Stewart, 1007 Herron St., Murfreesboro TN 37130.

                  Janet

                  > I enjoyed her works too, though I suppose I'm one of the few that
                  > enjoyed Quag Keep. I think we're about to lose a lot of good
                  authors
                  > in the coming years.

                  I haven't met many people who really liked it, but I did. I enjoyed the
                  fact that she was being experimental. I had heard about Dungeons and
                  Dragons but had not played it by the time I read this book.

                  As of the last time I checked, there has been no reported change in
                  Andre's health. I have been encouraging fans to write to her. The last
                  time the doctors thought they might lose her, a massive fan letter
                  writing campaign lifted her spirits and she recovered.

                  It's just hard to let go of someone like Andre, although maybe she is
                  ready to move on. I don't know.

                  --
                  Michael Martinez
                  Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
                  Middle-earth
                  http://www.michael-martinez.com/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links