MCKELLAN ON DUAL RINGS SETS

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2000
      MCKELLAN ON DUAL RINGS SETS

      In the latest postings to his official Web site,
      Ian McKellen reveals that there are twin sets of
      Hobbit interiors for the feature film version of
      J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. One set
      of interiors is Hobbit-sized, i.e., designed for
      people only 3 feet, 6 inches tall, said McKellen,
      who plays the wizard Gandalf in the films, now
      shooting in New Zealand.

      The other sets are exact matches, but larger,
      built for the actors who play Hobbits. "When I,
      as Gandalf, meet Bilbo or Frodo at home, I
      bump my head on the rafters," McKellen said.
      "So there is a small Bag End set with small
      props to match." He added, "And of course
      there has to be a big Bag End, where the scale
      is human-sized and all the objects of the small
      set are duplicated, but bigger."

      McKellen also describes the experience of
      acting opposite legendary British actor
      Christopher Lee, who plays Gandalf's nemesis,
      the wizard Saruman. "Spread across the black
      throne under Orthanc's vasty roof, [Lee] looked
      like King Lear in age and authority. He is 78
      years old, handsome and powerful. When he
      speaks, all I see and hear is Saruman, my old
      associate gone wrong. Except once when he
      rounded off a speech, at [director] Peter
      Jackson's suggestion, with a snarl. To be within
      four feet of a Lee snarl is unsettling. I was glad
      he wasn't wearing his [Dracula] fangs."

      *Joan Marie Verba verba001@...*
      *Mythopoeic Press Secretary, Mythopoeic Society *
      *List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI *
      * and MNSCREENW lists *
      *http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *