OT? random questions

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
      Does anyone know the variants on spelling for "pookah" (that spirit
      creature) and a bit of background what they are? I can't recall and don't
      trust random Googling.

      Also, why does my Welsh dictionary not have a separate section for "Dd"
      like "Ch"? Is "Dd" a mutation only?

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2005
        In a message dated 2/18/5 2:45:39 PM, Lizzie wrote:

        <<Does anyone know the variants on spelling for "pookah" (that spirit
        creature) and a bit of background what they are? I can't recall and don't
        trust random Googling.>>

        The original Irish spelling is _pĂșca_. Welsh _bwca_ is related to it. Both
        words are related to English "puck".

        <<Also, why does my Welsh dictionary not have a separate section for "Dd"
        like "Ch"? Is "Dd" a mutation only?

        Correct. _Dd_ exists only as a mutation of _d_, so no word in its original
        form can start with _dd_. On the other hand, many words do start with the
        sequence _chw-_ (a development from Old Celtic _sw-_), so there is a "Ch" section in
        the dictionary.
        Alexei
      • Bonnie Callahan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2005
          Hi there Elizabeth:

          I've seen it spelled as "phouka", or similarly. I went & asked my resident
          Mythsource, Tim, for more data but he was asleep. If you don't hear more, I
          may
          have some info for you yomorrow,(AKA "today"),
          Bonnie Callahan

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

          > Does anyone know the variants on spelling for "pookah" (that spirit
          > creature) and a bit of background what they are? I can't recall and don't
          > trust random Googling.
          >
          > Also, why does my Welsh dictionary not have a separate section for "Dd"
          > like "Ch"? Is "Dd" a mutation only?
          >
          > thanks,
          >
          > Lizzie
          >
          > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          > lizziewriter@...
          > amor vincit omnia
          > www.lizziewriter.com
          > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2005
            Thank you Bonnie, and thank you Alexei ("my hero"). Alexei, could you
            spell out that Gaelic word very slowly in a way that will come across on
            basic email text?

            best,

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005
              In a message dated 2/19/5 7:05:03 PM, Lizzie wrote:

              <<Alexei, could you
              spell out that Gaelic word very slowly in a way that will come across on
              basic email text?>>

              Oh, you have trouble with diacritics, I see. It's 'P-U with an acute
              accent-C-A">
              Alexei