Re: [mythsoc] Symphony, Shea, characterization

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2005
      At 02:38 PM 2/17/2005 -0800, John Rateliff wrote:

      >Don't know anything about the Thomas Peterson oratorio; is it available on
      >cd? re. Russell & Sallinen, are there any particular recordings you'd
      >recommend, and are they readily available?

      Thomas Peterson's work is not commercially available. The others are.
      Craig Russell, "Middle Earth", paired with his "Rhapsody for Horn and
      Orchestra", Naxon 8.559168. Aulis Sallinen, "Symphony No. 7: The Dreams of
      Gandalf", paired with his Symphony No. 1 and other works, CPO 999 918-2.
      However, knowing a little of your musical tastes, John, I'm not sure you'd
      like them. Others might, however, and I expect excerpts may be heard on
      the Amazon websites or, for Russell, www.naxos.com.

      >On the contrary, I think your post had admirable clarity; we just disagree
      >on how to parse his sentence. I think he intended to say that the book
      >consisted of essays on the films, films which he personally considers to be
      >great. Your reading is more along the lines of his saying that the book
      >advocates the movies' greatness, which as you say is certainly not the case,
      >the overall judgment of the collection being strongly negative.

      Which is what makes it misleading to call it a collection of essays on
      "these great movies," even if you do think the movies are great.

      Put it this way: I wouldn't call the Robert GIddings essay collection a
      collection of essays on "Tolkien's wonderful masterpiece," even though I
      obviously think LOTR is a wonderful masterpiece, because all but one of
      Giddings' authors consider Tolkien a tedious old git.

      >The heated, in-depth critiques of how Jackson's characters
      >depart from Tolkien's should force a re-evaluation and an acknowledgment
      >that Tolkien was in fact very gifted at characterization, just more subtle
      >than most (anyone who can't tell Merry from Pippin simply isn't paying
      >attention). It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, and the extent
      >to which Tolkien's stock rises in the literary canon, over the next few years.

      It won't. Your point is entirely correct but is far too subtle. And
      anti-Tolkien academics would far rather seize on Jackson's flaws as a way
      of arguing that Tolkien is bad, something they've already begun to do (see
      my essay), in complete defiance of the principle (also cited in my essay)
      of "Never judge a book by its movie."

      David Bratman