Re: [mythsoc] Symphony season spans Middle Earth to stars

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
      The complete Nashville Symphony season is here:

      <http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/2005concerts/calendar.html>

      I'm sorry to see that the entire Tolkien evening is being taken over by
      Howard Shore. There is other and much, much superior Tolkien-inspired
      orchestral music out there. A performance of Thomas Peterson's Tolkien
      oratorio would be very rewarding; so would an orchestral concert featuring
      Craig Russell and Aulis Sallinen.

      I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
      Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
      suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
      recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the characters
      that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
      that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
      Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
      also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
      influences of modern astrology either.

      David Bratman
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
        From: Mike Foster <mafoster@...>

        >All unbidden
        >came a prophetic Nashville vision
        >of excerpts from the Shore score
        >sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn]
        >and Vince Gill [Faramir].

        And the music would be transposed down half an octave because that woman sings all in chest voice. I was shocked when I heard Amy Grant's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." That song is low enough as written and she had it transposed even lower because she has no vocal technique. (It's not like she's Karen Carpenter who truly had a low voice which was very rich. Amy Grant just has an extremely limited range.)

        Berni
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
          > I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
          > Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
          > suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
          > recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the
          characters
          > that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
          > that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
          > Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
          > also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
          > influences of modern astrology either.

          Lewis also wrote a poem summing up these personifications. It is rather
          long (3 1/2 pages), it experiments with alliterative meter, and for those
          who wish to find it, in my edition of POEMS it is on the 12th page, and its
          title is THE PLANETS.

          It would be lovely if THAT were what Stewart is reading!

          Diamond Proudbrook