Re: [mythsoc] Symphony season spans Middle Earth to stars

  • Amy H. Sturgis
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
      >All unbidden came a prophetic Nashville vision of excerpts from the Shore score
      >sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn] and Vince Gill [Faramir].

      Ha! You know you're in Nashville when...

      Just FYI, please note that the LOTR Nashville Symphony performance will be at the Curb Event Center at Belmont University on the night of November 5, at the close of events for the three-day (Nov.3-5) "'Past Watchful Dragons': Fantasy and Faith in the World of C.S. Lewis" Conference, also at Belmont. More information can be found at http://www.belmont.edu/cslewis, and more details will be available shortly. Thanks!

      Amy H. Sturgis, Ph.D.
      Interdisciplinary Studies
      Belmont University
      sturgisa@...
      http://home.mindspring.com/~ahsturgis/
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
        The complete Nashville Symphony season is here:

        <http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/2005concerts/calendar.html>

        I'm sorry to see that the entire Tolkien evening is being taken over by
        Howard Shore. There is other and much, much superior Tolkien-inspired
        orchestral music out there. A performance of Thomas Peterson's Tolkien
        oratorio would be very rewarding; so would an orchestral concert featuring
        Craig Russell and Aulis Sallinen.

        I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
        Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
        suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
        recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the characters
        that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
        that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
        Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
        also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
        influences of modern astrology either.

        David Bratman
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
          From: Mike Foster <mafoster@...>

          >All unbidden
          >came a prophetic Nashville vision
          >of excerpts from the Shore score
          >sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn]
          >and Vince Gill [Faramir].

          And the music would be transposed down half an octave because that woman sings all in chest voice. I was shocked when I heard Amy Grant's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." That song is low enough as written and she had it transposed even lower because she has no vocal technique. (It's not like she's Karen Carpenter who truly had a low voice which was very rich. Amy Grant just has an extremely limited range.)

          Berni
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
            From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

            > I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
            > Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
            > suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
            > recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the
            characters
            > that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
            > that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
            > Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
            > also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
            > influences of modern astrology either.

            Lewis also wrote a poem summing up these personifications. It is rather
            long (3 1/2 pages), it experiments with alliterative meter, and for those
            who wish to find it, in my edition of POEMS it is on the 12th page, and its
            title is THE PLANETS.

            It would be lovely if THAT were what Stewart is reading!

            Diamond Proudbrook