Re: [mythsoc] Symphony season spans Middle Earth to stars

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
      All unbidden
      came a prophetic Nashville vision
      of excerpts from the Shore score
      sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn]
      and Vince Gill [Faramir].

      It may be time for the Not Ready for Mythcon Players to reprise their
      unforgettable 2003 version of "Ring of Fire."

      Cheers,
      Mike

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      >Sounds neat. But it's something one has to attend & see live, no?
      >
      >Lizzie
      >
      >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      >lizziewriter@...
      >amor vincit omnia
      >www.lizziewriter.com
      >www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • Amy H. Sturgis
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
        >All unbidden came a prophetic Nashville vision of excerpts from the Shore score
        >sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn] and Vince Gill [Faramir].

        Ha! You know you're in Nashville when...

        Just FYI, please note that the LOTR Nashville Symphony performance will be at the Curb Event Center at Belmont University on the night of November 5, at the close of events for the three-day (Nov.3-5) "'Past Watchful Dragons': Fantasy and Faith in the World of C.S. Lewis" Conference, also at Belmont. More information can be found at http://www.belmont.edu/cslewis, and more details will be available shortly. Thanks!

        Amy H. Sturgis, Ph.D.
        Interdisciplinary Studies
        Belmont University
        sturgisa@...
        http://home.mindspring.com/~ahsturgis/
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
          The complete Nashville Symphony season is here:

          <http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/2005concerts/calendar.html>

          I'm sorry to see that the entire Tolkien evening is being taken over by
          Howard Shore. There is other and much, much superior Tolkien-inspired
          orchestral music out there. A performance of Thomas Peterson's Tolkien
          oratorio would be very rewarding; so would an orchestral concert featuring
          Craig Russell and Aulis Sallinen.

          I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
          Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
          suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
          recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the characters
          that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
          that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
          Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
          also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
          influences of modern astrology either.

          David Bratman
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
            From: Mike Foster <mafoster@...>

            >All unbidden
            >came a prophetic Nashville vision
            >of excerpts from the Shore score
            >sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn]
            >and Vince Gill [Faramir].

            And the music would be transposed down half an octave because that woman sings all in chest voice. I was shocked when I heard Amy Grant's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." That song is low enough as written and she had it transposed even lower because she has no vocal technique. (It's not like she's Karen Carpenter who truly had a low voice which was very rich. Amy Grant just has an extremely limited range.)

            Berni
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
              From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

              > I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
              > Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
              > suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
              > recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the
              characters
              > that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
              > that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
              > Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
              > also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
              > influences of modern astrology either.

              Lewis also wrote a poem summing up these personifications. It is rather
              long (3 1/2 pages), it experiments with alliterative meter, and for those
              who wish to find it, in my edition of POEMS it is on the 12th page, and its
              title is THE PLANETS.

              It would be lovely if THAT were what Stewart is reading!

              Diamond Proudbrook