RE: [mythsoc] Symphony season spans Middle Earth to stars

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
      Sounds neat. But it's something one has to attend & see live, no?

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
        All unbidden
        came a prophetic Nashville vision
        of excerpts from the Shore score
        sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn]
        and Vince Gill [Faramir].

        It may be time for the Not Ready for Mythcon Players to reprise their
        unforgettable 2003 version of "Ring of Fire."

        Cheers,
        Mike

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

        >Sounds neat. But it's something one has to attend & see live, no?
        >
        >Lizzie
        >
        >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        >lizziewriter@...
        >amor vincit omnia
        >www.lizziewriter.com
        >www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      • Amy H. Sturgis
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
          >All unbidden came a prophetic Nashville vision of excerpts from the Shore score
          >sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn] and Vince Gill [Faramir].

          Ha! You know you're in Nashville when...

          Just FYI, please note that the LOTR Nashville Symphony performance will be at the Curb Event Center at Belmont University on the night of November 5, at the close of events for the three-day (Nov.3-5) "'Past Watchful Dragons': Fantasy and Faith in the World of C.S. Lewis" Conference, also at Belmont. More information can be found at http://www.belmont.edu/cslewis, and more details will be available shortly. Thanks!

          Amy H. Sturgis, Ph.D.
          Interdisciplinary Studies
          Belmont University
          sturgisa@...
          http://home.mindspring.com/~ahsturgis/
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
            The complete Nashville Symphony season is here:

            <http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/2005concerts/calendar.html>

            I'm sorry to see that the entire Tolkien evening is being taken over by
            Howard Shore. There is other and much, much superior Tolkien-inspired
            orchestral music out there. A performance of Thomas Peterson's Tolkien
            oratorio would be very rewarding; so would an orchestral concert featuring
            Craig Russell and Aulis Sallinen.

            I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
            Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
            suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
            recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the characters
            that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
            that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
            Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
            also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
            influences of modern astrology either.

            David Bratman
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
              From: Mike Foster <mafoster@...>

              >All unbidden
              >came a prophetic Nashville vision
              >of excerpts from the Shore score
              >sung by Amy Grant [Eowyn]
              >and Vince Gill [Faramir].

              And the music would be transposed down half an octave because that woman sings all in chest voice. I was shocked when I heard Amy Grant's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." That song is low enough as written and she had it transposed even lower because she has no vocal technique. (It's not like she's Karen Carpenter who truly had a low voice which was very rich. Amy Grant just has an extremely limited range.)

              Berni
            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
                From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                > I see that another concert features Patrick Stewart narrating Gustav
                > Holst's "The Planets". "The Planets" doesn't come with narration, but I
                > suppose someone penned something for Stewart to say. It is a work I would
                > recommend to all Inklings fans if they haven't heard it, for the
                characters
                > that Holst portrays in this suite are the same medieval personifications
                > that Lewis uses in the "Descent of the Gods" chapter of _That Hideous
                > Strength_ - which differ from the personalities of the Greek gods and are
                > also not, so far as I understand it, identical with the planetary
                > influences of modern astrology either.

                Lewis also wrote a poem summing up these personifications. It is rather
                long (3 1/2 pages), it experiments with alliterative meter, and for those
                who wish to find it, in my edition of POEMS it is on the 12th page, and its
                title is THE PLANETS.

                It would be lovely if THAT were what Stewart is reading!

                Diamond Proudbrook