Tolkien 2005/Mythcom Paper Call

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      Since we have only gotten two responses to this so far, Ellie & I thought
      a repeat post might be in order. Those of you who belong to groups or
      mailing lists that would be interested, please feel free to post. When you
      do (or if you already have) posted this elsewhere, please let us know
      where. If you plan to submit an abstract but just haven't gotten around to
      it, that would be nice to know also.

      CALL FOR PAPERS
      Mythcon XXXVI at Tolkien 2005: The Ring Goes Ever On

      Mythcon XXXVI will take place at Tolkien 2005: The Ring Goes Ever On
      (www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/about.html), a worldwide gathering of Tolkien
      readers and enthusiasts, students of Tolkien's writings and artists
      responding to those writings, performers, actors and adapters; collectors
      and curators; bibliographers and philologists; established academics, new
      researchers and creative writers; journalists, publishers, biographers,
      commentators and film-makers. Tolkien 2005/Mythcon XXXVI will be at Aston
      University in Birmingham, England, from August 11-15, 2005.

      The Mythopoeic Society, as a participating organization in the Tolkien
      2005: The Ring Goes Ever On conference, encourages submissions intended
      for a variety of audiences: academic and literary critical contributions
      are welcome, as are responses aimed more broadly at the wide diversity of
      Tolkien readers and filmgoers. Contributions should combine sound
      scholarship with accessibility.

      The Mythopoeic Society invites paper and panel proposals for our sponsored
      program tracks during the conference, especially papers on Tolkien and the
      other Inklings, authors responding to Tolkien, and Tolkien and recent
      fantasy literature. More general Tolkien topics will also be considered.
      Individual papers should be suitable for oral presentation within 30
      minutes. Panels should include three/four presenters in a time limit of
      75-90 minutes. Papers chosen for presentation at the conference may be
      submitted to Mythlore (www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html), the refereed
      journal of the Mythopoeic Society, for consideration for publication. All
      submissions to Mythlore must conform to the MLA Style Manual (2nd ed).

      Paper abstracts (250 word maximum), along with contact information, should
      be sent to the Papers Coordinators (e-mail is preferred) by 31 March
      2005. Please include your AV requests and the projected time needed for
      your presentation.

      Edith Crowe and Eleanor Farrell, Mythcon 36 Papers Coordinators
      The Mythopoeic Society
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: Edith.Crowe@...

      Edith L. Crowe
      Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
      San Jose State University Library
      http://www.sjlibrary.org
      (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org

    • herenistarion
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Hey there Edith and Ellie:
        Jessica and I submitted our paper and panel topics for Tolkien 2005
        to Andrew McMurray and Bob Davis, and have been added to the list of
        participating societies--would you like me to send you the abstracts
        as well?
        In Fellowship,
        Anthony
        NYTS