Re: [mythsoc] no critical thinking in the schools, please

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2000
      In a message dated 03/23/2000 4:38:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      << So I'm wondering if there isn't an inherent block to learning
      critical thinking in the schools, AND, since I have two small children in
      house, how I can prevent them from following in my footsteps.. >>

      WARNING: rant follows that I wish were fantasy but it isn't:
      This is somewhat off-topic, but I can't resist.
      Yes, schools are structured in such a way as to prevent critical thinking as
      much as human design can do so while still pretending to be free. I believe
      this is deliberate. The purpose of our public schools, at least in America,
      is not to produce people who can think critically and independently, but to
      produce cogs that will fit into the industrial/economic machine with a
      minimum of stress and jarring. That is why schools are so regimented and
      lockstep, why they rely almost entirely on quantifiable standardized tests to
      measure assimilation (as in "interchangeable parts"), and why the main, and
      usually the only, reason given for getting a good education is "to compete in
      today's job market" or some similar phrase. I don't remember the last time I
      read anyone saying that education is an end in itself, or has value
      independent of economics.That's all educational leaders think education is
      for. I'm surprised it has taken this long for the school uniform bandwagon to
      get rolling.
      There is also the American cultural bias against intelligence (very uncool),
      but schools have contributed to it as much as they have suffered from it.
      Sure, they talk a good game about creativity and such, but try to be creative
      outside approved (narrow) boundaries and see how fast you get stepped on.

      To suggest an answer to your second question, a good private school will
      probably do less damage than the public school. Home schooling, if you can
      manage it, would probably be even better. Good luck.
      Steve
      (Still bitter, but with good reason)