Triangle MythSoc?

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2005
      I am a recent subscriber to this list. Is there a MythSoc or similar group
      which meets in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill) of North
      Carolina?

      Thanks,

      Hugh Davis
    • herenistarion
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2005
        Sorry folks--
        Event URL is:

        http://herenistarion.org/ringbearersday/

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "herenistarion" <herenistarion@y...>
        wrote:

        > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
        >
        > The New York Tolkien Society and Marymount Manhattan College is
        > happy
        > announce New Yorks 50th Anniversary Celebration of The Lord of the
        > Rings.
        >
        > Saturday, March 19th 2005
        > 10 am-5pm
        > Marymount Manhattan College
        > http://www.mmm.edu
        > East 71st Street, between 2nd & 3rd Aves.
        > New York City
        >
        > Proudly Presenting a New York City Tradition --- Ringbearer's Day
        > 2005
        >
        > Last year was truly memorable and many thanks to all who helped
        > organize our
        > 2004 event. This year to mark the occasion of 50 years of Lord of
        > the Rings
        > we wished to make this event even more to remember.
        >
        > To help us celebrate, the renowned Tolkien-inspired Italian band
        > Giuseppe
        > Festa and Lingalad will be making their first New York appearance
        > exclusively at Ringbearers Day 2005. Lingalad performed for
        > audiences at the
        > Gathering of the Fellowship December 2003, which took us all on a
        > journey
        > of magic, beauty and enchantment through their music.
        >
        > Tolkien Scholar Michael Drout, (editor of Tolkien Studies,
        Beowulf
> [...]
        > our
        > Panel Discussion: "Honoring Tolkien: 50 Years of The Lord of the
        > Rings"
        >
        > Ancanar Presentation
        > A special presentation will be screened of never-before-seen
        > footage,
        > interviews, and an update on the film's progress. Commentary and
        > discussion
        > will follow by weaponsmiths Joe Piela and Jenna Brocious, as well
        as
        > Heren
        > Istarion chairs Anthony S Burdge and Jessica Burke. Free postcards
        > will be
        > given away, autographed by the cast and crew.
        > More details of the presentation will be updated on this in the
        near
        > future
        > Visit the official Site:
        > http://www.ancanar.com
        >
        > The Lonely Mountain Forge
        > The Arms and Armour of Middle-earth and Ancanar
        > It is our pleasure to welcome back Master Metal Smiths Joe Piela
        and
        > Jenna
        > Brocious. At last year's Ringbearer's Day, Piela and Brocious
        taught
        > standing room only arms and armour session, which has inspired
        > aspiring
        > metalsmiths and craftsmen worldwide. Their work on the forthcoming
        > film
        > Ancanar is not only breathtaking but an enlightening achievement
        and
        > contribution to myth and legend.
        >
        > In addition to the appearance and participation of the guests
        listed
        > thus
        > far we will have:
        > • Panel Discussion: "Honoring Tolkien: 50 Years of The Lord of the
        > Rings"
        > • Favorite readings from Tolkien's works by the Heren Istarion
        staff
        > and
        > honored guests
        > • Ringbearers Day Young Adult bards and minstrels Sing Along
        > This group of talented young adults will be covering those rousing
        > Glass
        > Hammer songs "Dorf and Orc", and "The Old Troll" plus more!!!
        > • Middle-Earth costume and trivia contests
        >
        > We will be adding further programming and guests in coming
        weeks!!!

        > Ticket information
        > Limited Seating ~ First Come, First Serve
        >
        > Tickets can purchased in advance, but will not be shipped. All
        > Tickets will
        > be picked up at the door.
        > All Tickets are non-refundable.
        >
        > All tickets sold below are via PayPal, if you wish to send check
        or
        > money
        > order, please specify the number of tickets you are purchasing and
        > for whom.
        > All check or money order payments are to be made payable to:
        Jessica
        > Burke
        > and mailed to: 106 Patten St. Staten Island, NY 10307
        >
        > • The first 75 people who purchase tickets will receive a LOTR
        > goodies and
        > a FREE Return of the King movie poster, courtesy of New Line
        Cinema
        > plus a
        > limited NY Tolkien Society T-shirt while t-shirt supplies last.
        >
        > • Those who purchase tickets in advance will have their poster and
        t-
        > shirt
        > available with their ticket package at the door. But please be
        > prompt and
        > arrive at 10 a.m.
        >
        > • A portion of the proceeds will be going to Tsunami Relief
        efforts
        > via
        > The White Tree Fund. See Below for details on the White Tree
        Fund.

        > New York Tolkien Society Member Ticket Rate
        > Adults: $31.00 USD
        > Child: (under 10 years of age) $13.00
        >
        > NON-New York Tolkien Society Member Ticket Rate
        > Adults: $41.00 USD
        > Child (under 10 years of age) $16.00
        >
        > • Beginning March 1st Ticket prices will be raised to $50 USD per
        > adult,
        > $30 USD per child
        >

        > Ringbearers Day to help benefit Tsunami relief efforts via The
        White
        > Tree
        > Fund:
        >
        > On December 26th, 2004, the countries on the rim of the Indian
        Ocean