Ringbearers Day 2005

  • herenistarion
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2005
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

      The New York Tolkien Society and Marymount Manhattan College is
      happy
      announce New Yorks 50th Anniversary Celebration of The Lord of the
      Rings.

      Saturday, March 19th 2005
      10 am-5pm
      Marymount Manhattan College
      http://www.mmm.edu
      East 71st Street, between 2nd & 3rd Aves.
      New York City

      Proudly Presenting a New York City Tradition --- Ringbearer's Day
      2005

      Last year was truly memorable and many thanks to all who helped
      organize our
      2004 event. This year to mark the occasion of 50 years of Lord of
      the Rings
      we wished to make this event even more to remember.

      To help us celebrate, the renowned Tolkien-inspired Italian band
      Giuseppe
      Festa and Lingalad will be making their first New York appearance
      exclusively at Ringbearers Day 2005. Lingalad performed for
      audiences at the
      Gathering of the Fellowship December 2003, which took us all on a
      journey
      of magic, beauty and enchantment through their music.

      Tolkien Scholar Michael Drout, (editor of Tolkien Studies, Beowulf
      and the
      Critics, and recipient of the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for
      Inklings
      Studies for 2003) will be speaking about Tolkien and taking part in
      our
      Panel Discussion: "Honoring Tolkien: 50 Years of The Lord of the
      Rings"

      Ancanar Presentation
      A special presentation will be screened of never-before-seen
      footage,
      interviews, and an update on the film's progress. Commentary and
      discussion
      will follow by weaponsmiths Joe Piela and Jenna Brocious, as well as
      Heren
      Istarion chairs Anthony S Burdge and Jessica Burke. Free postcards
      will be
      given away, autographed by the cast and crew.
      More details of the presentation will be updated on this in the near
      future
      Visit the official Site:
      http://www.ancanar.com

      The Lonely Mountain Forge
      The Arms and Armour of Middle-earth and Ancanar
      It is our pleasure to welcome back Master Metal Smiths Joe Piela and
      Jenna
      Brocious. At last year's Ringbearer's Day, Piela and Brocious taught
      standing room only arms and armour session, which has inspired
      aspiring
      metalsmiths and craftsmen worldwide. Their work on the forthcoming
      film
      Ancanar is not only breathtaking but an enlightening achievement and
      contribution to myth and legend.

      In addition to the appearance and participation of the guests listed
      thus
      far we will have:
      • Panel Discussion: "Honoring Tolkien: 50 Years of The Lord of the
      Rings"
      • Favorite readings from Tolkien's works by the Heren Istarion staff
      and
      honored guests
      • Ringbearers Day Young Adult bards and minstrels Sing Along
      This group of talented young adults will be covering those rousing
      Glass
      Hammer songs "Dorf and Orc", and "The Old Troll" plus more!!!
      • Middle-Earth costume and trivia contests

      We will be adding further programming and guests in coming weeks!!!

      Ticket information
      Limited Seating ~ First Come, First Serve

      Tickets can purchased in advance, but will not be shipped. All
      Tickets will
      be picked up at the door.
      All Tickets are non-refundable.

      All tickets sold below are via PayPal, if you wish to send check or
      money
      order, please specify the number of tickets you are purchasing and
      for whom.
      All check or money order payments are to be made payable to: Jessica
      Burke
      and mailed to: 106 Patten St. Staten Island, NY 10307

      • The first 75 people who purchase tickets will receive a LOTR
      goodies and
      a FREE Return of the King movie poster, courtesy of New Line Cinema
      plus a
      limited NY Tolkien Society T-shirt while t-shirt supplies last.

      • Those who purchase tickets in advance will have their poster and t-
      shirt
      available with their ticket package at the door. But please be
      prompt and
      arrive at 10 a.m.

      • A portion of the proceeds will be going to Tsunami Relief efforts
      via
      The White Tree Fund. See Below for details on the White Tree Fund.

      New York Tolkien Society Member Ticket Rate
      Adults: $31.00 USD
      Child: (under 10 years of age) $13.00

      NON-New York Tolkien Society Member Ticket Rate
      Adults: $41.00 USD
      Child (under 10 years of age) $16.00

      • Beginning March 1st Ticket prices will be raised to $50 USD per
      adult,
      $30 USD per child

      Ringbearers Day to help benefit Tsunami relief efforts via The White
      Tree
      Fund:

      On December 26th, 2004, the countries on the rim of the Indian Ocean
      experienced a natural disaster unlike any in our time. Over 150,000
      people
      were killed and over one million lives have been left in chaos and
      destruction. The White Tree Fund has been organized as a response to
      the
      tsunami disaster, and resulting overwhelming needs of survivors by
      Lord of
      the Rings/Tolkien communities around the globe.

      We have taken as our symbol, the White Tree of the Kings which stood
      in
      Gondor. The Tree is a symbol of renewal, healing and enduring hope,
      and
      inspires us to work for that now.

      The Fund works with three relief agencies doing work in the affected
      areas,
      Direct Relief International, Save the Children and Habitat for
      Humanity.
      Each of these agencies is doing excellent work in a responsible,
      ethical and
      accountable manner. 100% of all funds donated will go to the relief
      agencies. For more information on these agencies or to make a
      donation,
      please see The White Tree Fund website.

      We are proud to launch The White Tree Fund with our foremost
      partners, War
      of the Ring.net, Monsters & Critics, Middle-earth Reunion, Heren
      Istarion
      (the New York Tolkien Society), The Gathering of the Fellowship
      2006, and
      Tolkien Forever. And our list of partners continues to grow. This is
      testament to the strength of our common fellowship and
      understanding.
      Wherever you are, we urge you to join us and help if you can. For
      information, news and donations, please go to
      www.whitetreefund.org.
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2005
        I am a recent subscriber to this list. Is there a MythSoc or similar group
        which meets in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill) of North
        Carolina?

        Thanks,

        Hugh Davis
      • herenistarion