Re: New LOTR and Silmarillion

  • karlstar2
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2005
      A Silmarillion with pictures!! Will you actually read this one? I
      recently picked it up and started re-reading it. It is still a
      great collection. I actually read more of the foreword this time, I
      never really realized how much Christopher Tolkien had to add just to
      put it together. Which edition of the Silmarillion are you
      referring to?

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
      <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:

      > Ooh, mine came today! The gilt LOTR pages made an interesting
      crackling
      > sound as I leafed through them... I am again struck, even more
      strongly,
      > by the Biblical echoes in Tolkien's language. I haven't reread
      LOTR for a
      > while, and I was looking at a page here and there. (Know also
      that my
      > favorite and most familiar Bible translation is the RSV, and the
      NRSV just
      > isn't the same -- I like the Jerusalem for study, but the cadence is
      > different.)
      >
      > It is neat to have pictures in Silmarillion. I like Tolkien's own
      art
      > better, when I can get it, and Pauline Baynes. But variety is good
      too.

      > my simple thoughts,
      >
      > Lizzie
      >
      > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      > lizziewriter@e...
      > amor vincit omnia
      > www.lizziewriter.com
      > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2005
        Sure, James, I will read it sooner or later. Let's just not discuss which.
        Which edition am I referring to where? The new one? Just go to amazon and
        see. The old one? A Houghton-Mifflin hardcover from whatever year it
        came out here (+/-1980?); a friend of mine was a bookseller in Ossining &
        gave me some lovely presents. I am forever in his debt. Have you read all
        the other lost and unfinished and history materials as well? I haven't
        read many, just Beren & Luthien from Beleriand, I think.

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...