CFP & Conference Announcement

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2005
      Forwarded by permission

      Call for Papers: "'Past Watchful Dragons': Fantasy and Faith in the World of
      C. S. Lewis" Conference to be held November 3-5, 2005 on the campus of
      Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee. Scholars working on C. S. Lewis
      and the Inklings are invited to present paper proposals on the following
      suggested topics:

      1.. Fantasy and Film: Lewis and The Inklings.
      2.. Archetypes in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
      3.. The Image of the Messiah and the Works of C. S. Lewis and the Inklings
      4.. Overcoming Evil with Good: The Theology of Lewis
      5.. Fairy Stories: Worlds of Imagination in the Writings of Lewis and
      Tolkien
      6.. Surprised by Words: "Thrones, Dominations, Princedoms" and the
      Aesthetic Experience
      7.. Lewis and the Integration of Faith and Learning
      8.. The Appeal of C. S. Lewis: Exploring the Mystery
      Papers on other topics considering the work of C. S. Lewis and suggested
      panel discussion topics are also welcomed. Please limit proposals to a 300
      word abstract. Papers should be 20-25 minutes long.

      Inspired by the forthcoming Walden Media/ Disney Film of the classic Narnia
      story The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, this conference celebrates C.
      S. Lewis' contribution to literature, theology, apologetics, scholarship,
      popular culture, myth, and imagination. 'Past Watchful Dragons' will also
      consider the work of the constellation of writers associated with Lewis such
      as J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, Owen Barfield, and Dorothy Sayers.
      Belmont University invites scholars, students, church and community members
      to attend this exciting event featuring Doug Gresham (stepson of C. S. Lewis
      and Consultant to the film); Christopher Mitchell (Director of the Marion E.
      Wade Center and Assistant Professor of Theology, Wheaton College); Bruce
      Edwards (Noted Lewis Scholar, Associate Dean, and Professor of English at
      Bowling Green State University); David Payne (British actor and President of
      Rising Image Productions, specializing in dramatizations of the works of C.
      S. Lewis); and Glass Hammer (literary progressive rock band specializing in
      original music based on the writings of C. S. Lewis).
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
        I hope someone on this list might help me find a program. In 1978, the BBC
        apparently aired a version of J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, the play which
        the current film Neverland has as its source, with Ian Holm as Barrie. I
        understand it was released commercially on DVD and VHS in the UK. Can anyone
        help me find a copy that would play in the United States?

        Thank you,

        Hugh Davis
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
          In fact, my wife did a v. thorough search for that video; no copy
          playable in US cd. be located.

          Better to go to the book, Andrew Birkin: J. M. Barrie & The Lost Boys.

          Mike Foster

          Hugh Davis wrote:

          >I hope someone on this list might help me find a program. In 1978, the BBC
          >apparently aired a version of J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, the play which
          >the current film Neverland has as its source, with Ian Holm as Barrie. I
          >understand it was released commercially on DVD and VHS in the UK. Can anyone
          >help me find a copy that would play in the United States?
          >
          >Thank you,
          >
          >Hugh Davis

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
            The recording was available on sites like Amazon.uk but there was no
            version compatible with US DVD or VHS.

            Mike Foster wrote:

            >In fact, my wife did a v. thorough search for that video; no copy
            >playable in US cd. be located.
            >
            >Better to go to the book, Andrew Birkin: J. M. Barrie & The Lost Boys.
            >
            >Mike Foster
            >
            >Hugh Davis wrote:
            >

            >>I hope someone on this list might help me find a program. In 1978, the BBC
            >>apparently aired a version of J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, the play which
            >>the current film Neverland has as its source, with Ian Holm as Barrie. I
            >>understand it was released commercially on DVD and VHS in the UK. Can anyone
            >>help me find a copy that would play in the United States?
            >>
            >>Thank you,
            >>
            >>Hugh Davis

            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
              Another, slightly more expensive option is buy a "Universal" DVD player.
              Many of my friends who love BBC programs with either limited or
              non-existent support over here, get DVD players that will play any DVDs
              from anywhere. They are designed to show correctly on US TVs (as opposed
              to British DVD players where the TVs have a different scan rate).

              That way you can buy your British DVDs and play them too <g>.

              But this is advised for those who think they will buy enough foreign
              DVDs. YMMV.

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
                Thanks for the different replies. I had hopes the presence of Neverland
                would help bring the original production to a wider audience, but I'll just
                have to see.

              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 27, 2005
                  Don't they have DVD players that can be set to play all region DVDs? ---djb

                  Hugh Davis wrote:

                  >I hope someone on this list might help me find a program. In 1978, the BBC
                  >apparently aired a version of J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys, the play
                  which
                  >the current film Neverland has as its source, with Ian Holm as Barrie. I
                  >understand it was released commercially on DVD and VHS in the UK. Can
                  anyone
                  >help me find a copy that would play in the United States?
                  >
                  >Thank you,
                  >
                  >Hugh Davis

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links