New LOTR and Silmarillion

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2005
      Ooh, mine came today! The gilt LOTR pages made an interesting crackling
      sound as I leafed through them... I am again struck, even more strongly,
      by the Biblical echoes in Tolkien's language. I haven't reread LOTR for a
      while, and I was looking at a page here and there. (Know also that my
      favorite and most familiar Bible translation is the RSV, and the NRSV just
      isn't the same -- I like the Jerusalem for study, but the cadence is
      different.)

      It is neat to have pictures in Silmarillion. I like Tolkien's own art
      better, when I can get it, and Pauline Baynes. But variety is good too.

      my simple thoughts,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • karlstar2
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2005
        A Silmarillion with pictures!! Will you actually read this one? I
        recently picked it up and started re-reading it. It is still a
        great collection. I actually read more of the foreword this time, I
        never really realized how much Christopher Tolkien had to add just to
        put it together. Which edition of the Silmarillion are you
        referring to?

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2005
          Sure, James, I will read it sooner or later. Let's just not discuss which.
          Which edition am I referring to where? The new one? Just go to amazon and
          see. The old one? A Houghton-Mifflin hardcover from whatever year it
          came out here (+/-1980?); a friend of mine was a bookseller in Ossining &
          gave me some lovely presents. I am forever in his debt. Have you read all
          the other lost and unfinished and history materials as well? I haven't
          read many, just Beren & Luthien from Beleriand, I think.