New Tolkien Boxed Set

  • ebadams2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      I've been lurking ever since I resubscribed last year, but I came
      across something on Amazon that I wanted to get some info on to see
      if it would be worth getting. It's the not-yet-released "J.R.R.
      Tolkien Companion" 2-volume set by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina
      Scull. From the editorial previews it looks like it will have a lot
      of interesting info in it, but I wanted to know what better-informed
      people have to say about it.

      Thanks,

      Blake Adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2005
        At 07:07 AM 1/9/2005 +0000, Blake Adams wrote:

        >I've been lurking ever since I resubscribed last year, but I came
        >across something on Amazon that I wanted to get some info on to see
        >if it would be worth getting. It's the not-yet-released "J.R.R.
        >Tolkien Companion" 2-volume set by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina
        >Scull. From the editorial previews it looks like it will have a lot
        >of interesting info in it, but I wanted to know what better-informed
        >people have to say about it.

        It's going to be a major scholarly resource in its areas of coverage.

        If you've seen _Roverandom_, _J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist & Illustrator_, or the
        50th anniversary edition of _Farmer Giles of Ham_, all easy to find, you'll
        know the kind of detailed and meticulous work these scholars do.

        David Bratman