Tolkien Lecture Series :Philadelphia,PA

  • herenistarion
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2005
      Root and Branch:
      Mysticism and Heroism in the works of JRR Tolkien
      Holy Family University
      http://www.holyfamily.edu
      Philadelphia, PA
      April 13th 2005
      7-830pm
      Ray L. Taylor Catholic Intellectual Tradition Lecture
      Campus Center (CC) Room 115

      Anthony S Burdge and Jessica Burke (Chairman/Cochair of NY Tolkien
      Society respectively) will be speaking.

      Many scholars and critics have analyzed what has been said to be at
      the heart of Tolkien's work, his Catholic faith. The Root and
      Branch lecture series will examine the influence of his belief
      structure upon two leaves from Tolkien's tree, mysticism and
      heroism.

      Lecture Abstracts (link and shown below):
      http://www.herenistarion.org/events/Lecture_1.doc

      "The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and
      Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the
      revision"
      ---J.R.R. Tolkien The Letters, 172

      J.R.R. Tolkien as a Catholic Mystic
      By Anthony S. Burdge

      What is a mystic? And can this term be applied to one of the 20th
      century's greatest authors, J.R.R. Tolkien, who utilized the tools
      of his Catholic faith to their greatest potential? What aspects of
      Catholic mysticism can be found within the works of Tolkien and who
      inspired them? These questions and more will be explored as
      Tolkien's Catholic faith, the role of the Catholic mystic, the
      elements of Catholic mysticism within his works, and those who
      inspired them are explored in this lecture.

      The Triple Spiral:
      The dynamic of Tolkien's Heroes and
      How Peter Jackson stripped them of their dignity
      By Jessica Burke

      Tolkien's literary genius lies in his ability to write across the
      spectrum of fiction and faith. Tolkien appeals to those outside his
      own Catholic belief because of many reasons. Only one will be
      addressed in this lecture: Tolkien's treatment of the hero. Three
      of them will be explored: Sam, Faramir, and Éowyn—each of whom
      individually and collectively illustrate a facet of Tolkien's own
      influences from the Sagas of the Ancient North to the Mysteries of
      the Catholic spirit. We will also examine how the recent film
      interpretation of The Lord of the Rings sought not to illuminate and
      further Tolkien's tradition of the hero. Rather, the creative team
      behind Peter Jackson sought to flatten each of Tolkien's heroes into
      a "more identifiable" whole. Yet, in so doing, they removed all
      context, stripping all influences and every shred of applicability
      from Tolkien's characters.

      For More Information:
      Contact Anthony S Burdge
      Chairman NY Tolkien Society
      chairman@...
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2005
        these sound like interesting fun. let me know how they go.

        be great to get some catholic college or univ. to get together a
        conference on this, eh?