RE: [mythsoc] Mythlore articles via ill

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
      Elizabeth Katz said: When my local library can find the article, they
      can send it in PDF
      > format. This speeds things up quite a bit. I believe that this also
      > preserves the copyright in someway. And David Lenander said: Well,
      providing the article to you in PDF is probably a violation of
      copyright law, though an arguable one, given that the courts haven't
      really ruled on all of the niceties.

      ***Although it means drifting off-topic into the minutiae of
      libraianship yet again... this is my area of expertise, so I can
      answer some of this. As one of the technical aspects of scholarship,
      it's useful for anyone who writes to be aware of how libraries function.

      Almost all ILL articles are sent between libraries via PDF these days,
      at least among academic libraries. Very few articles are sent physically
      -- usually only books are actually mailed, when we know the patron wants
      the whole book. When we get a request for a short item (article or book
      chapter) that we own in physical format, we scan it as a PDF. If it's a
      database item, and our license permits ILL (we here at OU won't sign a
      license if it doesn't, as a matter of policy), then we print and scan
      it. (The next step is just to send the file directly from the database,
      but most vendors are resistant to this idea.)(Oh, and our turnaround
      here, from request to delivery, is generally less than a week.)

      There are some protections built in to sending a PDF; it's sent only
      between libraries, not to the individual (although some libraries are
      experimenting with direct delivery), and when it reaches the borrowing
      library, it is placed on a secure website accessible only by the
      requesting patron with a password, where it is only posted for a limited
      period of time. After this time it is deleted from the borrowing
      library's server. The patron accesses the website and can then read or
      print the article. Of course he could save it as well, and then send it
      to friends, so it's not perfect. But each article is required to carry a
      stamp or cover page warning the patron that he is responsible for any
      violations of copyright law once it's in his hands. A library is not
      allowed to send an article if we KNOW the patron plans to violate
      copyright law, and the patron is required by law to abide by fair use
      when he gets the item, just as he would with any other printed matter he
      obtains by any other means.

      Copyright law does provide very specifically for interlibrary loan
      exceptions, and includes requirements about keeping records on items
      borrowed so the library can pay any required copyright fees. Databases,
      however, are governed by contract, not copyright law, so any library
      that wants to ensure its patrons (including its ILL patrons) enjoys the
      same rights to use electronic materials as they do with physical
      materials, should read and negotiate its contracts very carefully. (If
      this interests anyone at all, go to my website where you will find the
      texts of some of my presentations and information about my publications
      on this topic.)

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      "In early days, I tried not to give librarians any trouble, which was
      where I made my primary mistake. Librarians like to be given trouble;
      they exist for it, they are geared to it. For the location of a mislaid
      volume, an uncatalogued item, your good librarian has a ferret's nose.
      Give her a scent and she jumps the leash, her eye bright with battle."
      Catherine Drinker Bowen (1897-1973), U.S. biographer. Adventures of a
      Biographer, ch. 9 (1959).