Mythlore articles via ill

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
      Well, providing the article to you in PDF is probably a violation of
      copyright law, though an arguable one, given that the courts haven't
      really ruled on all of the niceties. It may be covered by the changes
      made a few years ago in the digital extension. Many libraries have
      been moving in interesting and adventurous ways to extend "fair use" in
      recent years, but it really doesn't seem likely that they will succeed
      in passing a court review if the publishers ever wake up and contest
      it. However, if a library owns the digital version it can do so under
      its contract. If it doesn't own the digital version, it almost
      certainly can't legally "borrow" it via interlibrary loan from another
      library with such a contract, because most such contracts now prohibit
      sharing via ILL, something not true of old hard-copy. There are
      libraries that have back issues of _Mythlore_, however, and it's likely
      that they can provide you a traditional photocopy via interlibrary
      loan, and that will probably be quicker than 6 weeks. But another
      approach might be to ask a friend to do so--maybe someone here. I
      almost certainly own that issue, but I'm sure I couldn't locate it in
      time to help you out any qucker than Lee Speth could in Los Angeles.
      But maybe there are others more organized than I or Berni P.....

      On Jan 3, 2005, at 4:03 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:25:38 -0800
      > From: Elizabeth Katz <lizkatz@...>
      > Subject: Re: Mythlore articles online
      >

      > David Bratman wrote:
      >
      >> Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
      >> article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society
      >> for a
      >> reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy
      >> form.
      >>

      > Yes... however, I believe the wait is something like six weeks. And it
      > is understandable that a non-profit can't really manage any faster
      > turnaround. Unfortunately when I'm after an article, which I happen to
      > be at the moment :-) I'm in the middle of a project with a deadline.
      > When my local library can find the article, they can send it in PDF
      > format. This speeds things up quite a bit. I believe that this also
      > preserves the copyright in someway. However, in my current situation I
      > find myself once more out of luck.
      >
      > So.... Anyone know where I can locate "The Trans-cosmic Journeys in
      > /The
      > Chronicles of Narnia/," Steven Yandell, /Mythlore/ 43, vol. 12, no. I
      > (August 1985), pp. 9-23.
      >
      > Liz Katz

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113
      651-292-8887
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
        Elizabeth Katz said: When my local library can find the article, they
        can send it in PDF
        > format. This speeds things up quite a bit. I believe that this also
        > preserves the copyright in someway. And David Lenander said: Well,
        providing the article to you in PDF is probably a violation of
        copyright law, though an arguable one, given that the courts haven't
        really ruled on all of the niceties.

        ***Although it means drifting off-topic into the minutiae of
        libraianship yet again... this is my area of expertise, so I can
        answer some of this. As one of the technical aspects of scholarship,
        it's useful for anyone who writes to be aware of how libraries function.

        Almost all ILL articles are sent between libraries via PDF these days,
        at least among academic libraries. Very few articles are sent physically
        -- usually only books are actually mailed, when we know the patron wants
        the whole book. When we get a request for a short item (article or book
        chapter) that we own in physical format, we scan it as a PDF. If it's a
        database item, and our license permits ILL (we here at OU won't sign a
        license if it doesn't, as a matter of policy), then we print and scan
        it. (The next step is just to send the file directly from the database,
        but most vendors are resistant to this idea.)(Oh, and our turnaround
        here, from request to delivery, is generally less than a week.)

        There are some protections built in to sending a PDF; it's sent only
        between libraries, not to the individual (although some libraries are
        experimenting with direct delivery), and when it reaches the borrowing
        library, it is placed on a secure website accessible only by the
        requesting patron with a password, where it is only posted for a limited
        period of time. After this time it is deleted from the borrowing
        library's server. The patron accesses the website and can then read or
        print the article. Of course he could save it as well, and then send it
        to friends, so it's not perfect. But each article is required to carry a
        stamp or cover page warning the patron that he is responsible for any
        violations of copyright law once it's in his hands. A library is not
        allowed to send an article if we KNOW the patron plans to violate
        copyright law, and the patron is required by law to abide by fair use
        when he gets the item, just as he would with any other printed matter he
        obtains by any other means.

        Copyright law does provide very specifically for interlibrary loan
        exceptions, and includes requirements about keeping records on items
        borrowed so the library can pay any required copyright fees. Databases,
        however, are governed by contract, not copyright law, so any library
        that wants to ensure its patrons (including its ILL patrons) enjoys the
        same rights to use electronic materials as they do with physical
        materials, should read and negotiate its contracts very carefully. (If
        this interests anyone at all, go to my website where you will find the
        texts of some of my presentations and information about my publications
        on this topic.)

        Janet Brennan Croft
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 104NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://libraries.ou.edu/
        "In early days, I tried not to give librarians any trouble, which was
        where I made my primary mistake. Librarians like to be given trouble;
        they exist for it, they are geared to it. For the location of a mislaid
        volume, an uncatalogued item, your good librarian has a ferret's nose.
        Give her a scent and she jumps the leash, her eye bright with battle."
        Catherine Drinker Bowen (1897-1973), U.S. biographer. Adventures of a
        Biographer, ch. 9 (1959).