Tolkienian Spelling

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      Just noticed this spelling of "dwarfs" on a news website:

      "And we've never accepted the notion as a percentage of our GNP. Our GNP
      dwarves all other countries."

      Cheers, and Happy New Year,

      Beth
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
        David wrote:

        >*except the Tolkien Centenary Conference Proceedings, which as the only
        >"book" issue of Mythlore, and one of the best issues**, is the one people
        >are most likely to want. That's just plain out of print.

        I believe that its co-publisher, the Tolkien Society (it also counts as an
        issue of the TS journal _Mallorn_) still has copies available for purchase.
        There was a mention in the TS bulletin _Amon Hen_ a while back about plans
        to reprint the Proceedings, but as far as I know, nothing has come of that.

        Wayne Hammond
      • Elizabeth Katz
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
          David Bratman wrote:

          >Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
          >article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society for a
          >reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy form.

          Yes... however, I believe the wait is something like six weeks. And it
          is understandable that a non-profit can't really manage any faster
          turnaround. Unfortunately when I'm after an article, which I happen to
          be at the moment :-) I'm in the middle of a project with a deadline.
          When my local library can find the article, they can send it in PDF
          format. This speeds things up quite a bit. I believe that this also
          preserves the copyright in someway. However, in my current situation I
          find myself once more out of luck.

          So.... Anyone know where I can locate "The Trans-cosmic Journeys in /The
          Chronicles of Narnia/," Steven Yandell, /Mythlore/ 43, vol. 12, no. I
          (August 1985), pp. 9-23.

          Liz Katz