RE: Morgoth's Ring WAS Off Topic -- Merry Christmas

  • tghsaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005

      > Message: 7
      > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      > lizziewriter@...
      > amor vincit omnia
      > www.lizziewriter.com
      > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
      > >
      > > It is in Vol. 10 of the History of Middle-earth, "Morgoth's Ring".......
      > > I wish it could be reprinted in a more accessible place. I think Vol.
      > > 10 was never published in paperback in this country.
      > >
      > >Message: 8
      > Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:46:43 -0500
      > From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
      > Subject: Morgoth's Ring...
      >
      > .. is way cheaper at amazon. But I already have a gift card to Borders.
      > If anyone else is thinking of building their Tolkien library, amazon has
      > discounts on those additional books, as on most stuff. You can get
      > Morgoth's Ring and The Peoples Of Middle-Earth (I think it was) for not
      > much more than just the retail cost of MR (and shipping is probably free).
      >
      > Gotta love that amazon.
      >
      > Looks like they are also offering a way to contribute directly to disaster
      > relief for the Asian tidal wave mess.
      >
      > I have nothing to do with them financially, I just love that site. Late
      at
      > night I sit there for hours surfing recommendations and reviews. It's a
      > sad state of affairs. lol
      >
      > best
      >
      > Lizzie
      >
      > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      > lizziewriter@...
      > amor vincit omnia
      > www.lizziewriter.com
      > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      This is a little confusing (for me) because I'm working from the digest, but
      I think both of those messages were from the same person?

      Regarding message 7: My hope is that when volume 12 is ready to go into
      paperback, 10-12 will all show up at the same time. The only thing I'm
      basing this on is that the first nine volumes have been available in sets of
      paperbacks, and putting those three together would round out the collection.
      This is just a hope...

      Regarding message 8: I have amazon.com associate links on my website, but
      consider them more a convenience to visitors than a money maker--thank
      goodness, or I'd be very disappointed! ;-) I've put some of the links for
      the tsunami relief on my site, and from the associate message boards it
      sounds as if a lot are doing that. Even some of the ones who complain the
      ads are too big and mess up their page layouts have said it's worth it--and,
      of course, some of the geekier ones have already come up with alternate
      codes to improve the appearance, which they're sharing via the message
      boards. But amazon.com has made the HTML for the original link very
      accessible, putting it on the main Associates Central page, so even
      associates who do nothing more than check in to see their statistics will
      see it.

      I also love using the amazon site for customer reviews of things I don't
      plan to buy there, such as computer software and equipment, because I like
      getting opinions from users and not just sales hype. I also read the book
      reviews, but am more likely to actually *buy* books from them than I am some
      of the other items. (I pay special attention when I see a review written by
      someone from this list, especially David B.--very helpful reviews!)

      Anyway, you don't get credit for buying anything through your own affiliate
      links, so when I buy something myself I often go to mythsoc.org for that.
      Now, I was behind on email today and have read several of these digests in
      one session, so I don't remember where or who this question came from, but
      someone asked about the Society receiving the commission if they put
      something in their shopping cart but didn't buy it right away. Sounds like
      a very simple question, but, well, you know how it goes... The answer is
      more complicated than it has any right to be. Here it is, copied and pasted
      straight from the associate operating agreement:

      -----------------
      You earn referral fees on any qualifying items placed in a customer's
      Shopping Cart within 24 hours of their arrival at Amazon.com via your
      Associates link. However, this 24-hour window closes once the customer
      submits his order or reenters Amazon.com through another Associate's link.
      Once the window is closed, you will not earn referral fees on any subsequent
      purchases. However, if the customer then returns to Amazon.com through one
      of your Associates links, this opens a new 24-hour window.

      It is of course possible that a customer may arrive at Amazon.com via your
      Associates link, add an item to his Shopping Cart, and then leave Amazon.com
      without placing an order. As long as the item was added to the customer's
      Shopping Cart during this 24-hour window, you will still earn a referral fee
      if the order is placed before the Shopping Cart expires (usually after 90
      days). The referral fee will not be credited to your Associates account
      until the customer has purchased the item, accepted delivery, and remitted
      full payment to Amazon.com.
      ----------------

      Most shoppers, of course, don't care about all that, but if you really want
      to make sure the commission for your purchase goes to a particular
      affiliate, those are the things to pay attention to. One way that
      commissions can inadvertently get lost is by a customer placing two orders
      during one visit to amazon. Say, for example, someone wants to pay for
      items with two separate credit cards, so checks out once, then goes back
      without leaving amazon and places a second order. If they entered through
      an affiliate link, the affiliate would get credit for only the first order.

      More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but if it helps the Society get a
      few more commissions... 8-)