Re: [mythsoc] Mythlore articles online

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
      At 08:38 AM 12/31/2004 -0800, Elizabeth Katz wrote, concerning electronic
      availability of Mythlore:

      >Unless I'm mistaken this is only the recent articles. Not ones from the
      >70's... Now I wish *those* were available. They are hard to get!

      Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
      article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society for a
      reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy form.

      *except the Tolkien Centenary Conference Proceedings, which as the only
      "book" issue of Mythlore, and one of the best issues**, is the one people
      are most likely to want. That's just plain out of print. I can't defend
      the perverse policy of letting books go out of print while keeping
      magazines in print permanently, and in fact I retired from the Society's
      governing body so that I wouldn't have to defend it.

      **Besides the quality of the articles, it's one of the few issues of the
      end of the past regime sparing the reader any whining editorials about the
      editor's tailbone being sore or other such embarrassing nonsense.

      David Bratman
    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        Just noticed this spelling of "dwarfs" on a news website:

        "And we've never accepted the notion as a percentage of our GNP. Our GNP
        dwarves all other countries."

        Cheers, and Happy New Year,

        Beth
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
          David wrote:

          >*except the Tolkien Centenary Conference Proceedings, which as the only
          >"book" issue of Mythlore, and one of the best issues**, is the one people
          >are most likely to want. That's just plain out of print.

          I believe that its co-publisher, the Tolkien Society (it also counts as an
          issue of the TS journal _Mallorn_) still has copies available for purchase.
          There was a mention in the TS bulletin _Amon Hen_ a while back about plans
          to reprint the Proceedings, but as far as I know, nothing has come of that.

          Wayne Hammond
        • Elizabeth Katz
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            David Bratman wrote:

            >Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
            >article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society for a
            >reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy form.

            Yes... however, I believe the wait is something like six weeks. And it
            is understandable that a non-profit can't really manage any faster
            turnaround. Unfortunately when I'm after an article, which I happen to
            be at the moment :-) I'm in the middle of a project with a deadline.
            When my local library can find the article, they can send it in PDF
            format. This speeds things up quite a bit. I believe that this also
            preserves the copyright in someway. However, in my current situation I
            find myself once more out of luck.

            So.... Anyone know where I can locate "The Trans-cosmic Journeys in /The
            Chronicles of Narnia/," Steven Yandell, /Mythlore/ 43, vol. 12, no. I
            (August 1985), pp. 9-23.

            Liz Katz