Re: [mythsoc] Mythlore articles online

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
      Ted Sherman wrote:

      >By the way, Mythlore is also avialable in some of the electronic databases:
      >Mythlore has contracted with Gale Research and is now available in, I
      >believe, Infotrac as well as the Expanded Academic Index.

      (There's a difference?)

      My dim recollection from using these tools as a reference librarian five
      years ago is that some of the journals are full text and others are only
      bibliographic references. Which is Mythlore?

      >And we will
      >shortly sign an agreement with EBSCO (thus making the journal also available
      >online at participating libraries).

      That would be full-text, and that would be nice. But it raises a couple
      questions in my mind:

      1) How far back will this go?
      2) Did I sign a contract permitting my articles to be used this way? (I
      don't necessarily object, you understand, I just wish I'd heard about this
      in some other way than stumbling over it in the Yahoogroups list.)

      David Bratman
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
        At 08:38 AM 12/31/2004 -0800, Elizabeth Katz wrote, concerning electronic
        availability of Mythlore:

        >Unless I'm mistaken this is only the recent articles. Not ones from the
        >70's... Now I wish *those* were available. They are hard to get!

        Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
        article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society for a
        reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy form.

        *except the Tolkien Centenary Conference Proceedings, which as the only
        "book" issue of Mythlore, and one of the best issues**, is the one people
        are most likely to want. That's just plain out of print. I can't defend
        the perverse policy of letting books go out of print while keeping
        magazines in print permanently, and in fact I retired from the Society's
        governing body so that I wouldn't have to defend it.

        **Besides the quality of the articles, it's one of the few issues of the
        end of the past regime sparing the reader any whining editorials about the
        editor's tailbone being sore or other such embarrassing nonsense.

        David Bratman
      • Beth Russell
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          Just noticed this spelling of "dwarfs" on a news website:

          "And we've never accepted the notion as a percentage of our GNP. Our GNP
          dwarves all other countries."

          Cheers, and Happy New Year,

          Beth
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            David wrote:

            >*except the Tolkien Centenary Conference Proceedings, which as the only
            >"book" issue of Mythlore, and one of the best issues**, is the one people
            >are most likely to want. That's just plain out of print.

            I believe that its co-publisher, the Tolkien Society (it also counts as an
            issue of the TS journal _Mallorn_) still has copies available for purchase.
            There was a mention in the TS bulletin _Amon Hen_ a while back about plans
            to reprint the Proceedings, but as far as I know, nothing has come of that.

            Wayne Hammond
          • Elizabeth Katz
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
              David Bratman wrote:

              >Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
              >article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society for a
              >reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy form.

              Yes... however, I believe the wait is something like six weeks. And it
              is understandable that a non-profit can't really manage any faster
              turnaround. Unfortunately when I'm after an article, which I happen to
              be at the moment :-) I'm in the middle of a project with a deadline.
              When my local library can find the article, they can send it in PDF
              format. This speeds things up quite a bit. I believe that this also
              preserves the copyright in someway. However, in my current situation I
              find myself once more out of luck.

              So.... Anyone know where I can locate "The Trans-cosmic Journeys in /The
              Chronicles of Narnia/," Steven Yandell, /Mythlore/ 43, vol. 12, no. I
              (August 1985), pp. 9-23.

              Liz Katz