Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1771

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
      Ted,
      That's good news about Mythlore's pending agreement with EBSCO. This
      will make the journal available to students at my college and many
      others as well. Please let us know when it's a done deal.

      Mike

      Ted Sherman wrote:

      >>Message: 1
      >> Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:39:40 EST
      >> From: WendellWag@...
      >>Subject: Mythlore articles being reprinted (was: Trying to locate author . .
      >>.)
      >>
      >>This is interesting to me because it means that _Mythlore_ articles are being
      >>reprinted in anthologies of literary criticism. Has this happened before?
      >>Is this common?
      >>
      >>Wendell Wagner
      >>

      >Wendell:
      >
      >Yes, I usually get requests for author info about four times a year.
      >Sometimes I can immediately help, but usually not. When I became editor of
      >Mythlore, the previous editor did not provide me with anything: former
      >author names and contact info, templates, etc. So I often try to help the
      >publishers out by sending out a message like yesterday's or by trying to
      >track the person down myself.
      >
      >By the way, Mythlore is also avialable in some of the electronic databases:
      >Mythlore has contracted with Gale Research and is now available in, I
      >believe, Infotrac as well as the Expanded Academic Index. And we will
      >shortly sign an agreement with EBSCO (thus making the journal also available
      >online at participating libraries).
      >
      >Ted
      >--------------------------------
      >Dr. Ted Sherman, Editor
      >Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
      >Mythopoeic Literature
      >Professor, Department of English
      >Box 041, Middle Tennessee State University
      >Murfreesboro, TN 37130
      >615 898.2653
      >tsherman@...
      >tedsherman@...

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Elizabeth Katz
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
        Unless I'm mistaken this is only the recent articles. Not ones from the
        70's... Now I wish *those* were available. They are hard to get!
        Liz

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
          Ted Sherman wrote:

          >By the way, Mythlore is also avialable in some of the electronic databases:
          >Mythlore has contracted with Gale Research and is now available in, I
          >believe, Infotrac as well as the Expanded Academic Index.

          (There's a difference?)

          My dim recollection from using these tools as a reference librarian five
          years ago is that some of the journals are full text and others are only
          bibliographic references. Which is Mythlore?

          >And we will
          >shortly sign an agreement with EBSCO (thus making the journal also available
          >online at participating libraries).

          That would be full-text, and that would be nice. But it raises a couple
          questions in my mind:

          1) How far back will this go?
          2) Did I sign a contract permitting my articles to be used this way? (I
          don't necessarily object, you understand, I just wish I'd heard about this
          in some other way than stumbling over it in the Yahoogroups list.)

          David Bratman
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
            At 08:38 AM 12/31/2004 -0800, Elizabeth Katz wrote, concerning electronic
            availability of Mythlore:

            >Unless I'm mistaken this is only the recent articles. Not ones from the
            >70's... Now I wish *those* were available. They are hard to get!

            Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
            article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society for a
            reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy form.

            *except the Tolkien Centenary Conference Proceedings, which as the only
            "book" issue of Mythlore, and one of the best issues**, is the one people
            are most likely to want. That's just plain out of print. I can't defend
            the perverse policy of letting books go out of print while keeping
            magazines in print permanently, and in fact I retired from the Society's
            governing body so that I wouldn't have to defend it.

            **Besides the quality of the articles, it's one of the few issues of the
            end of the past regime sparing the reader any whining editorials about the
            editor's tailbone being sore or other such embarrassing nonsense.

            David Bratman
          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
              Just noticed this spelling of "dwarfs" on a news website:

              "And we've never accepted the notion as a percentage of our GNP. Our GNP
              dwarves all other countries."

              Cheers, and Happy New Year,

              Beth
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
                David wrote:

                >*except the Tolkien Centenary Conference Proceedings, which as the only
                >"book" issue of Mythlore, and one of the best issues**, is the one people
                >are most likely to want. That's just plain out of print.

                I believe that its co-publisher, the Tolkien Society (it also counts as an
                issue of the TS journal _Mallorn_) still has copies available for purchase.
                There was a mention in the TS bulletin _Amon Hen_ a while back about plans
                to reprint the Proceedings, but as far as I know, nothing has come of that.

                Wayne Hammond
              • Elizabeth Katz
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
                  David Bratman wrote:

                  >Mythlore is not in a lot of libraries, but if you want a particular
                  >article, all back issues of Mythlore* are available from the Society for a
                  >reasonable fee. Even those out of stock* may be had in photocopy form.

                  Yes... however, I believe the wait is something like six weeks. And it
                  is understandable that a non-profit can't really manage any faster
                  turnaround. Unfortunately when I'm after an article, which I happen to
                  be at the moment :-) I'm in the middle of a project with a deadline.
                  When my local library can find the article, they can send it in PDF
                  format. This speeds things up quite a bit. I believe that this also
                  preserves the copyright in someway. However, in my current situation I
                  find myself once more out of luck.

                  So.... Anyone know where I can locate "The Trans-cosmic Journeys in /The
                  Chronicles of Narnia/," Steven Yandell, /Mythlore/ 43, vol. 12, no. I
                  (August 1985), pp. 9-23.

                  Liz Katz