Re: SV: [mythsoc] 2000 MYTHOPOEIC FANTASY AWARDS

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2000
      If nobody nominates something it misses out. A few years ago Chris Van Allsburg's wonderful _The Widow's Broom_, one of the few picture books that might have actually had a shot at winning the Children's MFA didn't get nominated, and so couldn't be considered for the finalists. The same thing has happened to many other books. This is one reason why a book sometimes gets nominated for its paperback edition a year or two later, since
      it was missed the first time. _A Dark Horn Blowing_ was nominated twenty years after original publication, because it finally had a paperback edition (it was actually older than the award!)

      However, one good thing about mentioning these lapses here is that some of us may have a chance to remember Golden's _Strangewood_ as worth looking at when we're at the library or bookstore and run across it.

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2000
        In a message dated 3/23/00 1:44:38 PM Central Standard Time,
        d-lena@... writes:

        > If nobody nominates something it misses out.

        Like WICKED by Gregory Maguire! Aargh!
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2000
          A good topic for Butterbur's Woodshed.
          Peace,
          Paul Labaki

          > From: Stolzi@...
          > Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:53:20 EST
          > To: mythsoc@onelist.com
          > Subject: Re: SV: [mythsoc] 2000 MYTHOPOEIC FANTASY AWARDS
          >
          > From: Stolzi@...
          >
          > In a message dated 3/23/00 1:44:38 PM Central Standard Time,
          > d-lena@... writes:
          >
          >> If nobody nominates something it misses out.
          >
          > Like WICKED by Gregory Maguire! Aargh!

          > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
          > Apply NOW!

        • Steve Savile
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2000
            Just wondering, as I am too new to the list to know otherwise, but was Christopher Golden's STRANGEWOOD looked at for the Mythpoeic Award? I know it's packaged as horror by Signet, but it was a tremendously well done look at what might happen as the result of Cristopher Robin growing up and forgetting all about the wonders of Hundred Acre Wood. Its full of magic and reminded me a lot of Jonathan Carroll's beautiful LAND OF LAUGHS...

            Well, shutting up now :)

            Steve
          • Eleanor Farrell
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25, 2000
              >From: "Steve Savile" <sms3390@...>
              >
              >Just wondering, as I am too new to the list to know otherwise, but was
              >Christopher Golden's STRANGEWOOD looked at for the Mythpoeic Award? I know
              >it's packaged as horror by Signet, but it was a tremendously well done
              >look at what might happen as the result of Cristopher Robin growing up and
              >forgetting all about the wonders of Hundred Acre Wood. Its full of magic
              >and reminded me a lot of Jonathan Carroll's beautiful LAND OF LAUGHS...
              >
              >Well, shutting up now :)

              When was this published? As current awards administrator and a past
              committee member, I can tell you that it wasn't on any recent lists. Our
              mantra: if you think a book worthy of the award, nominate it! Don't count
              on someone else doing this -- we are not inundated with nominations.

              (And, although I personally loved Gregory Maguire's _Wicked_ and am sorry
              it did not do better, the book WAS nominated for the Mythopoeic Award in
              1997.)

              Ellie

              ***********************************
              Eleanor M. Farrell
              Mythopoeic Awards Administrator
              E-mail: emfarrell@...
              P.O. Box 320486
              San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
              MythSoc web site: http://www.mythsoc.org

              ***********************************
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 2000
                In a message dated 3/25/00 10:41:01 AM Central Standard Time,
                emfarrell@... writes:

                > (And, although I personally loved Gregory Maguire's _Wicked_ and am sorry
                > it did not do better, the book WAS nominated for the Mythopoeic Award in
                > 1997.)

                My mistake. I guess I remembered its not being on the short list? I may not
                even have been on the committee yet. I think (still under correction) that I
                was disappointed it did not make it back in its paperback year.