Comus

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2004
      I just finished reading (about time at my age!) this masque of Milton's,
      upon which Charles Williams lectured at Oxford, to Lewis' delight. I knew
      that CS Lewis loved Milton, but was unaware how frequently he quoted him.

      These four quotes I recognized instantly when I read them, though I can't
      always quite place them in Lewis' works:

      "wield their little tridents" - somewhere I think where Lewis is talking
      about sub-creation, or perhaps about God affording us causativity through
      prayer. Unless it was Tolkien who used it thus, but I do not think so.

      "pert Fairies and the dapper Elves" - Lewis modifies this to the singular to
      describe Ivy Maggs' appearance as everyone is dressing for the feast at St.
      Anne's.

      "backward mutters of dissevering power" - where, oh where, does he use this?

      "those happy climes that lie/ Where day never shuts his eye, /Up in the
      broad fields of the sky." - In the description of the Fields of Arbol,
      Chapter 5 of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET.

      There are some perfectly gorgeous lines in COMUS; I've loved this bit for
      years

      "Sabrina fair,
      Listen where thou art sitting
      Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave..."

      It goes on, but these opening lines of the "Song" to the river-goddess
      Sabrina are the best.

      Caroline Stevermer's new novel, A SCHOLAR OF MAGICS, which I highly
      recommend, has quite a lot to do with COMUS.

      Diamond Proudbrook