Re: [mythsoc] Epigraph Author Known

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
      "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

      often quoted as motto of the US Army Corps of Engineers, in which my father
      served during WWII.

      Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."

      A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

      quote:

      ' The Corps of Engineers` oldest and most time honored insignia is the
      exclusive Essayons Button. It has not changed in basic design since its
      first definitely known use during the War of 1812. It is still the required
      button for the uniform worn by Army Engineers Officers. '

      As far as I know this is the =only= Army branch to have its own special
      buttons, with the motto and a stylized castle (a picture of which is at
      http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/hhc612th/castle.html). A small but life-size
      Engineers' castle stands, or used to stand, near the Reservoir in Washington
      DC.

      Sorry, but Christmas is a family time, and I just had to give a shout-out,
      even if a bit off topic, to my dear father.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
        With all respect to your father and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, I
        prefer Billie Holiday's version.

        Mike

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
          And I much prefer the Corps of Engineers version. Ain't diversity fun?
          Anne

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 26, 2004
            From Stolzi's note:

            >Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."
            >
            >A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

            Or perhaps it could also be taken to mean, "Let us try." A sort of ever
            onward sort of thing. I like "Excelsior" myself, which I had read in some
            fairy tale meant "Ever onward," and it was some family motto. Is that
            accurate?

            I just remembered to use the mythsoc link to amazon for two orders these
            past two days. Thanks for the reminder! And I told my dad about it as
            well.

            best,

            Lizzie
            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com
            www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
          • ChessQu654@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 30, 2004
              Thanks for the input, everyone.

              Thus far, I agree with the ladies. The Army quote seems best. For now, I
              shall leave my signature line as is.

              Christine

              " The impossible just takes a little longer."
              ~ Author Unknown ~

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a particular
                difficult problem. It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                miraculous takes a little longer"

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                  In a message dated 12/31/2004 10:58:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  WendellWag@... writes:

                  There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a
                  particular
                  difficult problem.

                  Excuse me, I meant "a particularly difficult problem." I wasn't saying that
                  we keep solving the same problem over and over again. I meant that it was
                  given to any team that solved a very difficult problem.

                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                    I still stay with the
                    "Crazy He Calls Me" vote for Billie Holiday,
                    though if
                    Army Corps of Engineers guys
                    or
                    Wendell's crew
                    start wearing white gardenias,
                    and work on their scansion and melisma...

                    Mike Foster

                  • ChessQu654@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 2, 2005
                      In a message dated 12/31/04 7:58:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      WendellWag@... writes:

                      > . It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                      > miraculous takes a little longer"

                      I think I like this best! Is there a credit to this?

                      Best regards,