Re: [mythsoc] about the word "muse"

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
      Ah, well, there is that. I am sorry if I gave the impression that one had
      to have an opposite-gender inspirational genius. And one can certainly
      have more than one. But when the spirit is masculine, what do you call it?
      "Awen" seemed too impersonal, or more powerful, or something. Not
      something one could lend a personality to, but perhaps I am mistaken.
      "Genius" is too common a word with too many trappings on it already.
      "Daemon" has been taken over by the software industry (and then there is
      also "daimon") but it seemed the best bet, or the one with a shot at
      resurrecting in that meaning.

      I need an OED.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      > From: Christine Howlett <chowlett@...>
      > To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: 12/15/2004 9:40:28 PM
      > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] about the word "muse"
      >
      > I have no problem having a feminine muse, second-rate and profligate as
      she
      > is. After all, she is supposed to be there for inspiration not sex.
      Though