Le Guin on Earthsea

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
      Here's Le Guin's definitive statement on how the Earthsea miniseries came
      to be, and of what responsibility she carries for it.

      http://trashotron.com/agony/columns/2004/12-15-04.htm

      Best line: "I do remember saying to my husband, oh, gee, I bet they're
      going to have a honky Ged."
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
        Apart from the racial theme on which Ms LeGuin hammers, there are other
        large problems. I watched part of the second half last night and kept
        asking myself how far THIS, or THAT, deviates from the plot - not knowing
        the book as well as some people here. But I feel the deviations were
        massive.

        And the dialogue! Sakes alive! Tenar, after a restless night, answers
        another priestess' inquiry by telling her she is "okay." Almost sure she
        said that, haven't time to go back and check though.

        While Yarrow asks Ged, "How will ya know when you get to where you're
        going?"

        Diamond Proudbrook
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
          At 09:51 AM 12/15/2004 -0600, Stolzi wrote:

          >Apart from the racial theme on which Ms LeGuin hammers, there are other
          >large problems. I watched part of the second half last night and kept
          >asking myself how far THIS, or THAT, deviates from the plot - not knowing
          >the book as well as some people here. But I feel the deviations were
          >massive.

          This comment in Le Guin's article is quite in accord with the comments I've
          read elsewhere:

          "All they intended was to use the name Earthsea, and some of the scenes
          from the books, in a generic MacMagic movie with a meaningless plot based
          on sex and violence."

          It seems to have been less a matter of deviating from the books than of
          allowing a few places where it was reminiscent of the books.

          I don't mind not having seen this: I'm not a connoisseur of bad art. But I
          am a connoisseur of reactions to bad art, and there have been some choice
          ones on this.

          David Bratman
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
            That's right.... he's supposed to be like a mahogany color. I didn't watch
            the show. Who has time to watch TV this time of year ?!

            So, did they??

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com
            www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

            > From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
            > Subject: [mythsoc] Le Guin on Earthsea
            >
            > Here's Le Guin's definitive statement on how the Earthsea miniseries came
            > to be, and of what responsibility she carries for it.
            > http://trashotron.com/agony/columns/2004/12-15-04.htm
            >
            > Best line: "I do remember saying to my husband, oh, gee, I bet they're
            > going to have a honky Ged."
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
              "But with all freedom comes responsibility. . .

              . . .which is something these film-makers seem not to understand."

              Hm, perhaps she should have watched SPIDER-MAN instead :)

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                > This comment in Le Guin's article is quite in accord with the comments
                I've
                > read elsewhere:
                >
                > "All they intended was to use the name Earthsea, and some of the scenes
                > from the books, in a generic MacMagic movie with a meaningless plot based
                > on sex and violence."

                Yeah, that's about right.

                > I don't mind not having seen this: I'm not a connoisseur of bad art. But
                > am a connoisseur of reactions to bad art, and there have been some choice
                > ones on this.

                Ooh, point us to some!

                Here's one http://postgazette.com/pg/04347/424027.stm
                which is really really irritating, because the reviewer seems to think (on
                the basis of the TV series) that Earthsea - the BOOKS - is in some way
                inferior to Harry Potter. Mumfle grumble fumfle grrrrr.

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 16, 2004
                  Not to mention that the Ring has become a pendant (of peace, no less),
                  Arha's name is changed back to Tenar, and the religious background of the
                  Kargides has been vastly changed. Yikes! I recorded it, but I don't think
                  I'll keep it. Pretty awful. ---djb

                  Apart from the racial theme on which Ms LeGuin hammers, there are other
                  large problems. I watched part of the second half last night and kept
                  asking myself how far THIS, or THAT, deviates from the plot - not knowing
                  the book as well as some people here. But I feel the deviations were
                  massive.

                  And the dialogue! Sakes alive! Tenar, after a restless night, answers
                  another priestess' inquiry by telling her she is "okay." Almost sure she
                  said that, haven't time to go back and check though.

                  While Yarrow asks Ged, "How will ya know when you get to where you're
                  going?"

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • Stolzi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 16, 2004
                    From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>>

                    > So, did they??

                    Have a white Ged? Oh yes, and everyone =else= was white, except Danny
                    Glover as Ogion.

                    The villagers and Ged's father might be excepted, as they were so dirty as
                    to appear grey. I kept expecting Baldrick of "Black Adder" to turn up in
                    the village, or some Monty Python characters from HOLY GRAIL.

                    The way everyone mouthed and chewed and sat upon their very Americanized
                    dialogue was intolerable. Well, Glover did the best he could with what he
                    was given.

                    I was right too (consulted with Grace the expert) about the plot being
                    totally warped and manhandled.

                    What hurts worst is the thought that people may =judge= Le Guin as a writer
                    on the basis of this thing.

                    Let's put it this way: This film makes PJ's LOTR look like a masterpiece of
                    sensitive scripting and directing.

                    Diamond Proudbrook, wishing she could take the tape to Mythcon this year for
                    a MST3K-ing.
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 16, 2004
                      Thanks. Oh, oww. It even came up at tonight's D&D game as being awful.
                      So it wasn't just the usual list disaffection. I think I'll skip it, yup.

                      I'd like to reread the Foundation books though. How many are there now,
                      again?

                      Lizzie

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                      www.lizziewriter.com
                      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

                      etc.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 16, 2004
                        At 10:59 PM 12/16/2004 -0500, Lizzie wrote:

                        >I'd like to reread the Foundation books though. How many are there now,
                        >again?

                        Three good ones. After that they're trash.
                      • Michael Martinez
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 16, 2004
                          > At 10:59 PM 12/16/2004 -0500, Lizzie wrote:
                          >
                          > >I'd like to reread the Foundation books though. How many are
                          > >there now, again?
                          >
                          > Three good ones. After that they're trash.

                          I've always felt that Asimov was best enjoyed in the original
                          Klingon, myself.

                          Some of the other books (written by Asimov) tied into the Foundation
                          series that I enjoyed included THE STARS, LIKE DUST; THE END OF
                          ETERNITY (not obvious until the end of the story); THE CURRENTS OF
                          SPACE; and PEBBLE IN THE SKY.

                          There are some dumb goofs in the Foundation books (such as the scene
                          where Arkady is dictating to her diary, and she
                          pronounces "intricacies" with two soft C's instead of one) but the
                          story is powerful and interesting and some of the characterizations
                          are excellent.

                          --
                          Michael Martinez
                          Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 17, 2004
                            From: "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@...>

                            > There are some dumb goofs in the Foundation books (such as the scene
                            > where Arkady is dictating to her diary, and she
                            > pronounces "intricacies" with two soft C's instead of one) but the
                            > story is powerful and interesting and some of the characterizations
                            > are excellent.

                            Well, differences of opinion and all that; I've always found Asimov's
                            characters to be made out of purest cardboard.

                            Since we're on science fiction, I might put in a note here about Heinlein's
                            FOR US THE LIVING, recently purchased at the grocery store. This is
                            Heinlein's first/last novel that went unpublished until after his death.

                            It was amusing that in this 1939 vision of the future of 2086 the biggest
                            goof (other than the air-cars, which were a regular feature of many other
                            people's stuff) was that people smoked like mad.

                            In one scene he introduced "brandy surrogate" - what, it tastes the same but
                            doesn't get you drunk? or, it IS the same but no bad side-effects? - but
                            dropped that for (apparently) ordinary booze in subsequent scenes.

                            No mention of any improvement in the cigs, though. But hey, maybe by 2086
                            aircars will be developed and people will have gone back to smoking like
                            mad.

                            I doubt it though.

                            Diamond Proudbrook
                          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 17, 2004
                              Oh, Diamond, people do still smoke. And teenagers tan. Are we not all
                              immortal? I guess we don't smoke like in the old movies, but my sniffer
                              tells me there is no shortage of a market for cigarettes.

                              sadly,

                              Lizzie

                              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                              lizziewriter@...
                              amor vincit omnia
                              www.lizziewriter.com
                              www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
                              > No mention of any improvement in the cigs, though. But hey, maybe by 2086
                              > aircars will be developed and people will have gone back to smoking like
                              > mad.
                              >
                              > I doubt it though.
                              >
                              > Diamond Proudbrook

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • ecrowews
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 18, 2004
                                David,

                                Thanks so much for posting this--it answers a lot of question. What
                                a disappointment that miniseries was. Throughout the whole thing, I
                                found myself sounding like David Bratman discussing Peter Jackson...

                                Edith