Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1751

  • steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2004
      > Message: 4
      > Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:02:36 -0600
      > From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
      > Subject: Re: Pullman doesn't like Tolkien, either
      >
      > And in looking for the Dawkins interview, I found out that Don Cupitt <said>
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/4w75e
      >
      > "It's time to throw off the nostalgia and the illusions, and make a fresh
      > start. Fantasies of wielding supernatural power are not of much help to
      > children "

      That could almost be a quote from either the NICE in _That Hideous
      Strength_ or Eustace in _The Voyage of the Dawn Treader_. Do Dufus
      Dawkins and Pullman know how typecast they've made themselves?

      > Message: 5
      > Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:31:39 -0500
      > From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
      > Subject: I don't give a Poop what Pullman likes, BUT
      >

      > I do want to comment, though, that there is a LOT of bubble-gum-fantasy out
      > there nowadays, from Pokemon, Digimon, and that ilk, to Barbie fairies and
      > mermaids, and I don't even know what else. There is so much let's-pretend
      > that I personally think we are weakened by a lack of equally riveting
      > nature-science tales, with their following. I might just not know about
      > them, but I haven't heard of modern equivalents of Black Beauty, Beautiful
      > Joe, Misty of Chincoteague, My Side of the Mountain, Tom Swift, and so on.
      > Jimmy Neutron is nice, but I would like to hear about books. There is too
      > much electronic entertainment that they are too fond of, from CD computer
      > games, to GameBoy, to TV/cable, that books are having a hard time
      > competing.
      >
      > Or maybe I just need to spend more time hanging around our shiny new
      > Library.

      I hope your latter comment is the correct one. But it may be very
      difficult to write novels of substance in a zeitgeist where there is no
      good or evil, only the triumph of the group will to power.

      > Message: 7
      > Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:14:17 -0000
      > From: "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@...>
      > Subject: Question on the presentation of myth
      >

      > Here is something I have wondered from time to time while browsing
      > the messages for MythSoc. How does the critical audience view the
      > presentation of myth in today's popular culture?
      >
      > How do each of you feel myth SHOULD be presented by today's myth
      > builders? Should it only be via written word?

      The spoken word would be better, methinks, even than the written word.
      Can you imagine what the scalds said to each other when Thoth gave
      writing to Man? (so to speak)

      > A television series like Battlestar Galactica would qualify, but not
      > something episodic like CSI.

      JM Straczynski came as close as anyone perhaps could with _Babylon 5_.
      The medium does have a message of its own, overcoming that would be
      extremely difficult, I imagine. When you write your paper, and then your
      book, I would suggest trying to interview him on that question. You will
      write it, won't you?

      > Message: 8
      > Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:15:13 -0800
      > From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      > Subject: Re: Query
      >
      > I hope that Mike Foster, Tolkien instructor par excellence, has time to
      > respond to this.
      >
      > My inclination would be to try to lean away from the running-commentary
      > model, towards the idea of highlighting for each session a major theme of
      > LOTR that's particularly appropriate for that day's Book. Perhaps the
      > morality of war for Book 3, the nature of evil for Book 4, death and the
      > desire for deathlessness in Book 5, eucatastrophe for Book 6.

      The danger of forgetting the past in Book 1? Not sure what would be
      unique about Book 2.