I don't give a Poop what Pullman likes, BUT

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2004
      I do want to comment, though, that there is a LOT of bubble-gum-fantasy out
      there nowadays, from Pokemon, Digimon, and that ilk, to Barbie fairies and
      mermaids, and I don't even know what else. There is so much let's-pretend
      that I personally think we are weakened by a lack of equally riveting
      nature-science tales, with their following. I might just not know about
      them, but I haven't heard of modern equivalents of Black Beauty, Beautiful
      Joe, Misty of Chincoteague, My Side of the Mountain, Tom Swift, and so on.
      Jimmy Neutron is nice, but I would like to hear about books. There is too
      much electronic entertainment that they are too fond of, from CD computer
      games, to GameBoy, to TV/cable, that books are having a hard time
      competing.

      Or maybe I just need to spend more time hanging around our shiny new
      Library.

      www.kentlibrary.org

      Lizzie
      Elizabeth Apgar Triano