Re: Beowulf film... note errror

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
      To emend Larry Swain's comment slightly: that should be "calling it by
      the same name for the sake of having a recognizable brand name," not
      necessarily because of any similarity of plot. Or perhaps "calling it by the
      same name in order to give a veneer of literary respectability to another
      monster show."
      ;-}
      Cynically yours,
      Pauline
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@o...>
      wrote:

      > Oi, do not get me started! Grendel's father? Grendel's child?
      SELMA? I like Sarah Polley, but where in Beowulf does Selma appear?
      Must be in the part of the manuscript that's now missing.......It looks in
      some ways to be a good movie, but it is as much "Beowulf"
      as "Thirteenth Warrior" was "Beowulf" or the god-awful, porn-star
      riddled Christopher Lambert "I'm also half demon" rendition from 2000
      was "Beowulf." Everyone of course has their own vision of a story, but
      there is a difference between producing one's vision and producing
      another story altogether and calling it by the same name for the same of
      some commonalities in character name and stolen plot.

      > Larry Swain
      >

      > > Er, well, if they're going to soften the monster and try to understand
      its
      > > view, they're going against Tolkien's point, that the monsters are
      > > necessary for the story. I'm not sure Grendel is a "troll." It's been a
      > > while since I read Beowulf and my memory may have slipped, but I
      seem to
      > > recall that Grendel and mom were water creatures, or associated
      with water.
      > > (So are trolls, but they don't seem as menacing as the Beowulf
      monster,
      > > which seems quite mysterious, since the poet lets you imagine what
      the
      > > creature is, yet describes it as "of Cain's kind.") I'll have to look up
      my
      > > Beowulf to confirm a few things, but it doesn't sound promising. ---
      djb

      Opera. "This
      > > movie has probably the most un-formulaic script I've ever read,
      especially
      > > coming from America, and that's what grabbed me about it."
      > >
      > > Directed by Sturla Gunnarsson and based on the epic poem Beowulf
      & Grendel,
      > > the film follows the saga of the Norse warrior Beowulf (Butler) as
      he leads
      > > the charge against Grendel (Ingvar Eggert Sigurdsson), a massive
      and deadly
      > > troll. "From the first word, from the first description of the
      characters I
      > > realized that I was reading something very different," Butler said. "I
      had
      > > to read it twice before I really got it, but when I got it I could see
      just
      > > what a powerful thing this could be as a film. And I got to be so
      closely
      > > involved in it. I got to sit down with the director and we talked about
      his
      > > visions of Bergman and Kurasawa, and we talked about going
      widescreen on
      > > the Icelandic landscape."
      > >
      > > Butler added, "It's this Viking story which is based on a fable, but in
      > > actual fact we've gone back and said, 'Just imagine that there was a
      > > troll,' and we're saying, 'Imagine this troll isn't really a monster, but
      > > just another form of human.' He's like a Neanderthal man, more like
      > > primate. So, there's just really good meat on the bones. And
      Beowulf is a

      _