Tolkien and Ruth (was Tolkien and Freemasonry)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      In a message dated 12/3/2004 10:19:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      mafoster@... writes:

      Stolzi's comment is apt. The only thing less likely than JRRT being a
      Mason was him being a New York Yankees' fan.

      I guess you haven't seen the recent news stories:

      RUTH ADMITS TOLKIEN CAUSED THE END OF "THE CURSE OF THE BAMBINO"

      In a recent séance with Babe Ruth, he admitted that it was a dispute with
      _The Lord of the Rings_ author J. R. R. Tolkien which lead to the end of the
      curse that has prevented the Boston Red Sox from winning the World Series for
      most of a century.

      Ruth said, "Yeah, after he died, Tolkien became quite a baseball fan. He
      and I used to float around Yankee Stadium together and watch the team play.
      I'm not much of a reader, but I read his books after meeting him up here
      because we had become such friends. I liked them, and then when the Peter Jackson
      movies came out, I saw them too. I told him that I liked the movies, and he
      became really angry and lectured me about how terrible they were."

      "At that point," Ruth said, "I decided that I was sick of him. This was in
      the middle of the fourth game between the Red Sox and the Yankees, so I just
      quit using the curse. The Red Sox won that game and the rest of the
      play-offs and went on to win the Series. The heck with it, that's the last time I
      try to be friends with some hoity-toity big-dome literary type."