Re: [mythsoc] father christmas letters : 1921-22 ?/ LoR translation in Arabic

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2004
      Thanks David, once again !

      At 05:25 PM 12/3/2004 +0100, Vincent wrote:

      >A new French edition of The Father Christmas Letters has just been
      >published, and I was wondering about the absence of years 1921-1922, whereas
      >1920 & 1923 ff are present. Does anyone know why ?

      They're not in the expanded English-language edition, either, and no
      explanation is provided. Possibly they were lost, or were cut for space.

      >And I was also wondering if a translation into Arabic exists. Do you know
      >that ?

      I do not know, but as of 1992 no books by Tolkien had been published in
      Arabic at all, so perhaps there is none.

      David Bratman

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2004
        Seconding what David said -- the 1921 and 1922 letters don't appear in
        either of the Enlish-language versions of the Christmas letters. The
        first edition also drops the 1923 and 1924 letters. Also, there are no
        letters in the collected "Letters" between 1916 and 1923, and
        Carpenter's "Biography" has little specific to say about these years.
        The family did move at least once (possibly more -- I didn't review too
        closely) during this period, so possibly the letters were lost in a
        move. "The Tolkien Family Album" records that in 1921 or 1922 John and
        Michael caught the measles at a holiday party, and the bother of dealing
        with two sick infants might have something to do with it as well, at
        least for one of the years.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        At 05:25 PM 12/3/2004 +0100, Vincent wrote:

        >A new French edition of The Father Christmas Letters has just been
        >published, and I was wondering about the absence of years 1921-1922,
        >whereas 1920 & 1923 ff are present. Does anyone know why ?

        They're not in the expanded English-language edition, either, and no
        explanation is provided. Possibly they were lost, or were cut for
        space.

        >And I was also wondering if a translation into Arabic exists. Do you
        >know that ?

        I do not know, but as of 1992 no books by Tolkien had been published in
        Arabic at all, so perhaps there is none.

        David Bratman

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

        Links
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2004
          >Seconding what David said -- the 1921 and 1922 letters don't appear in
          >either of the Enlish-language versions of the Christmas letters. The
          >first edition also drops the 1923 and 1924 letters. Also, there are no
          >letters in the collected "Letters" between 1916 and 1923, and
          >Carpenter's "Biography" has little specific to say about these years.
          >The family did move at least once (possibly more -- I didn't review too
          >closely) during this period, so possibly the letters were lost in a
          >move. "The Tolkien Family Album" records that in 1921 or 1922 John and
          >Michael caught the measles at a holiday party, and the bother of dealing
          >with two sick infants might have something to do with it as well, at
          >least for one of the years.

          Could it simply be taht there were no letters written in those years?

          Is there any reference anywhere to there being letters in '21 and '22?