Beowulf film... note errror

  • jack@greenmanreview.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      Butler Previews Beowulf

      Gerard Butler told SCI FI Wire that he has high hopes for his upcoming film, the medieval adventure Beowulf & Grendel. "I think it's going to be like nothing you've ever really seen before," the Scottish actor said in an interview while promoting his latest film, The Phantom of the Opera. "This movie has probably the most un-formulaic script I've ever read, especially coming from America, and that's what grabbed me about it."

      Directed by Sturla Gunnarsson and based on the epic poem Beowulf & Grendel, the film follows the saga of the Norse warrior Beowulf (Butler) as he leads the charge against Grendel (Ingvar Eggert Sigurdsson), a massive and deadly troll. "From the first word, from the first description of the characters I realized that I was reading something very different," Butler said. "I had to read it twice before I really got it, but when I got it I could see just what a powerful thing this could be as a film. And I got to be so closely involved in it. I got to sit down with the director and we talked about his visions of Bergman and Kurasawa, and we talked about going widescreen on the Icelandic landscape."

      Butler added, "It's this Viking story which is based on a fable, but in actual fact we've gone back and said, 'Just imagine that there was a troll,' and we're saying, 'Imagine this troll isn't really a monster, but just another form of human.' He's like a Neanderthal man, more like a primate. So, there's just really good meat on the bones. And Beowulf is a hero. It's like the original hero story, but with a twist." Beowulf & Grendel will be released in 2005.
    • Vincent Ferre
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
        hi,

        >the film follows the saga of the Norse warrior Beowulf (Butler) as he leads
        >the charge against Grendel (Ingvar Eggert Sigurdsson)

        indeed, "it's going to be like nothing you've ever really seen before",
        especially in _Beowulf_ (by the way : "the epic poem Beowulf & Grendel" ?
        _Beowulf_ is enough, isn't it ?)...

        by the way, _ Grendel_ by John Gardner is a very interesting reworking of
        the sotry, don't you think ?

        Vincent
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
          Er, well, if they're going to soften the monster and try to understand its
          view, they're going against Tolkien's point, that the monsters are
          necessary for the story. I'm not sure Grendel is a "troll." It's been a
          while since I read Beowulf and my memory may have slipped, but I seem to
          recall that Grendel and mom were water creatures, or associated with water.
          (So are trolls, but they don't seem as menacing as the Beowulf monster,
          which seems quite mysterious, since the poet lets you imagine what the
          creature is, yet describes it as "of Cain's kind.") I'll have to look up my
          Beowulf to confirm a few things, but it doesn't sound promising. ---djb

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
            Oi, do not get me started! Grendel's father? Grendel's child? SELMA? I like Sarah Polley, but where in Beowulf does Selma appear? Must be in the part of the manuscript that's now missing.......It looks in some ways to be a good movie, but it is as much "Beowulf" as "Thirteenth Warrior" was "Beowulf" or the god-awful, porn-star riddled Christopher Lambert "I'm also half demon" rendition from 2000 was "Beowulf." Everyone of course has their own vision of a story, but there is a difference between producing one's vision and producing another story altogether and calling it by the same name for the same of some commonalities in character name and stolen plot.

            Larry Swain

            > Er, well, if they're going to soften the monster and try to understand its
            > view, they're going against Tolkien's point, that the monsters are
            > necessary for the story. I'm not sure Grendel is a "troll." It's been a
            > while since I read Beowulf and my memory may have slipped, but I seem to
            > recall that Grendel and mom were water creatures, or associated with water.
            > (So are trolls, but they don't seem as menacing as the Beowulf monster,
            > which seems quite mysterious, since the poet lets you imagine what the
            > creature is, yet describes it as "of Cain's kind.") I'll have to look up my
            > Beowulf to confirm a few things, but it doesn't sound promising. ---djb

            From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

            Powered by Outblaze
          • Pauline J. Alama
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
              OK, I haven't read all the messages, but it seems that as a former
              Beowulf scholar (my dissertation was "From Curiosity to Canon:
              Nineteenth-Century Translations of Beowulf" -- fascinating, eh? ;-}) I
              ought to weigh in.

              As "troll" isn't an Anglo-Saxon word, it's debatable whether one could
              apply it to Grendel. What is the definition of a troll? Grendel is described
              as "aeglaec" (variously translated as "foe," "fiend," "monster,"
              or "hostile one"-- although related to the modern "ugly," the word has
              no exact Mod. English equivalent) and, IIRC, occasionally "gaest,"
              another ambiguous term, which could be "guest/stranger"
              or "ghost/monster."

              Even from the sparse description in the poem, we can tell that Grendel
              is decidedly NOT a Neanderthal (an idea they probably got from Michael
              Crichton's creative departures from the original in Eaters of the Dead, a
              book which I haven't read but heard about quite a bit on Ansaxnet).
              Neanderthals are smaller than homo sapiens, and Grendel is bigger. He
              also lives in the water, as Diane pointed out. He has glowing eyes and
              claws. However, in other ways, he does seem to be deliberately likened
              to human-kind -- specifically to the same social class as Beowulf, the
              retainers to the king, except that he's an anti-retainer, undermining
              rather than supporting the king, and treating the war-band not as
              comrades but as food. He is "wretchedly shaped in the form of a man,"
              so there's definitely something to that idea that he's horrible precisely
              because he's quasi-human but not quite human enough.

              The TV version sounds like something that could be interesting, but that
              will probably be botched.

              Yours pessimistically,
              Pauline J. Alama, Ph.D. (Piled it Higher and Deeper :))

              -- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...>

            • Pauline J. Alama
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
                To emend Larry Swain's comment slightly: that should be "calling it by
                the same name for the sake of having a recognizable brand name," not
                necessarily because of any similarity of plot. Or perhaps "calling it by the
                same name in order to give a veneer of literary respectability to another
                monster show."
                ;-}
                Cynically yours,
                Pauline