RE: [mythsoc] The New Yorker: The Critics: Books

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
      At 12:11 PM 12/2/2004 -0500, Lizzie quoted:

      >Dunsany�s creation is a sumptuous pageant
      >of Symbolist exotica that lies closer in spirit to Aubrey Beardsley and The
      >Yellow Book than to any actual sacred text.

      I was puzzled by the article's implication that this is a criticism.

      >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
      >things have to happen, really.

      Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the hack
      writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of Conflict.

      David Bratman
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004

        OK. So I have some reading to do. So that is not such a bad thing then?

        > >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
        > >things have to happen, really.
        >
        > Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the
        hack
        > writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of
        Conflict.

        Maybe not Full of Conflict, but Something Should Happen... don't you think?
        Otherwise who needs three hundred pages for what could be said in a
        two-page poem?

        Oh, should I duck now?

        Other notes good too, I think I have lost too much ground to continue
        poking the tigers, and anyway it's almost time for all that quotidian
        stuff... school bus, homework, rock club, etc. Thanks for bearing with me.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
          I'd take anything..ok, nearly anything by Dunsany over 99% of today's
          writers.
          I'm eternally grateful to Lin Carter for introducing me to Dunsany and
          Morris in the original Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series.
          Bill