Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1739

  • steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
      > Message: 16
      > Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:13:42 -0800
      > From: "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...>
      > Subject: Re: cultural mutual incomprehension
      >

      > From: "steve" <sschaper@...>
      >
      > > Berni, you have ostraca written on with Sharpies? ;-)
      >
      > I have no idea what you mean by this. Sharpies, I know -- I use them in my
      > job every day.

      Ostraca are potsherds that were used for writing small verses on,
      whether magical charms such as in Ephesus, or Scripture verses a little
      later on. They are some of the earliest material available.

      Since you were talking about Don Brown, and throwing away your
      collection of potsherds (IIRC), I thought you would find that amusing --
      ostraca as genuine as the Dan Rather memos - which is what Brown & co.
      would have to come up with.

      > > I think that the discussion about the 'disconnect' is about how the US
      > > is now more or less two nations, the urban centers having one culture,
      > > and the small town and rural areas having another. A look at the
      > > county-by-county voting map is instructive.
      >
      > And this relates to mythopoeic literature how? I know I asked what
      > exactly DJ meant, and I suspected she meant this, but I wanted her
      > to spell it out. Nonetheless, it is extremely off-topic and insulting to
      > many of us.

      I was attempting to a) answer the question, and b) be descriptive, not
      proscriptive. Being a Heartlander, and worse a (gasp) Christian, I'm
      used to being insulted in far more violent terms byhyper-parochial New
      York elite types.

      > And that's the last I have to say regarding this. I will go back to just
      > blocking particular e-mail addresses so I don't have to read stuff
      > off-topic.

      That seems like a strong reaction.

      I meant no insult to you, nor to the poor farmers of Klamath.
    • Walkermonk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
        --

        In the Myth Soc, that's not unusual. So why the gasp?

        Grace Monk

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
          In a message dated 12/2/04 9:44:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          sschaper@... writes:

          > Being a Heartlander, and worse a (gasp) Christian, I'm
          > used to being insulted in far more violent terms byhyper-parochial New
          > York elite types.

          So................now you don't like the east coast people?

          I do not know who from the New York area insulted you violently, but it is
          not he norm here to insult other areas of the country.

          Christine

          " The impossible just takes a little longer."
          ~ Author Unknown ~