RE: [mythsoc] The New Yorker: The Critics: Books

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
      So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
      things have to happen, really.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
        At 12:11 PM 12/2/2004 -0500, Lizzie quoted:

        >Dunsany�s creation is a sumptuous pageant
        >of Symbolist exotica that lies closer in spirit to Aubrey Beardsley and The
        >Yellow Book than to any actual sacred text.

        I was puzzled by the article's implication that this is a criticism.

        >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
        >things have to happen, really.

        Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the hack
        writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of Conflict.

        David Bratman
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004

          OK. So I have some reading to do. So that is not such a bad thing then?

          > >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
          > >things have to happen, really.
          >
          > Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the
          hack
          > writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of
          Conflict.

          Maybe not Full of Conflict, but Something Should Happen... don't you think?
          Otherwise who needs three hundred pages for what could be said in a
          two-page poem?

          Oh, should I duck now?

          Other notes good too, I think I have lost too much ground to continue
          poking the tigers, and anyway it's almost time for all that quotidian
          stuff... school bus, homework, rock club, etc. Thanks for bearing with me.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
            I'd take anything..ok, nearly anything by Dunsany over 99% of today's
            writers.
            I'm eternally grateful to Lin Carter for introducing me to Dunsany and
            Morris in the original Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series.
            Bill