RE: [mythsoc] The New Yorker: The Critics: Books

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
      I thought this bit was especially provocative:

      << Dunsany�s first book, �The Gods of Pega�na� (included in its entirety in
      the Penguin volume), related the cosmogony of the imaginary island nation
      of Pega�na in a prose style that mimics the archaic cadences of the Bible.
      This imitation is so persuasive that few have noticed how little
      understanding of religious feeling its author shows. Pega�na has gods of
      dust, of silence, and of �little dreams and fancies� but no gods or
      goddesses of the harvest, of war, or of love�pretty much the core
      curriculum for heathen deities. Dunsany�s creation is a sumptuous pageant
      of Symbolist exotica that lies closer in spirit to Aubrey Beardsley and The
      Yellow Book than to any actual sacred text. The myths that Dunsany
      concocted elaborate on the futility of human ambitions and even the
      ephemerality of the gods themselves, who will vanish into nothingness on
      the awakening of a still older creator, called Ma�na-Yood-Susha�i. �We are
      the gods,� these divinities chant. �We are the little games of
      Ma�na-Yood-Susha�i that he hath played and hath forgotten.� Dunsany,
      himself an atheist, seemed indifferent to the needs that religions arise to
      answer: for hope, or meaning, or a sense that the universe is directed by
      entities not unlike ourselves. What Dunsany liked about gods was their
      empyrean vantage point, remote from the world and amused by human striving.

      Not mythopoeic in the sense that we so often seem to tie to religion here.
      More like Lovecraft. I don't know anything about Symbolists either. Dang,
      it's inconvenient to be so ignorant.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
        So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
        things have to happen, really.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
          At 12:11 PM 12/2/2004 -0500, Lizzie quoted:

          >Dunsany�s creation is a sumptuous pageant
          >of Symbolist exotica that lies closer in spirit to Aubrey Beardsley and The
          >Yellow Book than to any actual sacred text.

          I was puzzled by the article's implication that this is a criticism.

          >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
          >things have to happen, really.

          Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the hack
          writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of Conflict.

          David Bratman
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004

            OK. So I have some reading to do. So that is not such a bad thing then?

            > >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
            > >things have to happen, really.
            >
            > Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the
            hack
            > writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of
            Conflict.

            Maybe not Full of Conflict, but Something Should Happen... don't you think?
            Otherwise who needs three hundred pages for what could be said in a
            two-page poem?

            Oh, should I duck now?

            Other notes good too, I think I have lost too much ground to continue
            poking the tigers, and anyway it's almost time for all that quotidian
            stuff... school bus, homework, rock club, etc. Thanks for bearing with me.

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com
            www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
              I'd take anything..ok, nearly anything by Dunsany over 99% of today's
              writers.
              I'm eternally grateful to Lin Carter for introducing me to Dunsany and
              Morris in the original Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series.
              Bill