RE: [mythsoc] The New Yorker: The Critics: Books

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
      PS Sorry, forgot to add... he lived until 1957? Wow. That seems so
      recent. I wasn't born yet, but I bet a lot of other list members were.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
        I thought this bit was especially provocative:

        << Dunsany�s first book, �The Gods of Pega�na� (included in its entirety in
        the Penguin volume), related the cosmogony of the imaginary island nation
        of Pega�na in a prose style that mimics the archaic cadences of the Bible.
        This imitation is so persuasive that few have noticed how little
        understanding of religious feeling its author shows. Pega�na has gods of
        dust, of silence, and of �little dreams and fancies� but no gods or
        goddesses of the harvest, of war, or of love�pretty much the core
        curriculum for heathen deities. Dunsany�s creation is a sumptuous pageant
        of Symbolist exotica that lies closer in spirit to Aubrey Beardsley and The
        Yellow Book than to any actual sacred text. The myths that Dunsany
        concocted elaborate on the futility of human ambitions and even the
        ephemerality of the gods themselves, who will vanish into nothingness on
        the awakening of a still older creator, called Ma�na-Yood-Susha�i. �We are
        the gods,� these divinities chant. �We are the little games of
        Ma�na-Yood-Susha�i that he hath played and hath forgotten.� Dunsany,
        himself an atheist, seemed indifferent to the needs that religions arise to
        answer: for hope, or meaning, or a sense that the universe is directed by
        entities not unlike ourselves. What Dunsany liked about gods was their
        empyrean vantage point, remote from the world and amused by human striving.

        Not mythopoeic in the sense that we so often seem to tie to religion here.
        More like Lovecraft. I don't know anything about Symbolists either. Dang,
        it's inconvenient to be so ignorant.

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
          So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
          things have to happen, really.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
            At 12:11 PM 12/2/2004 -0500, Lizzie quoted:

            >Dunsany�s creation is a sumptuous pageant
            >of Symbolist exotica that lies closer in spirit to Aubrey Beardsley and The
            >Yellow Book than to any actual sacred text.

            I was puzzled by the article's implication that this is a criticism.

            >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
            >things have to happen, really.

            Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the hack
            writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of Conflict.

            David Bratman
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004

              OK. So I have some reading to do. So that is not such a bad thing then?

              > >So is the idea here that he is not much of a one for Story or Plot? And
              > >things have to happen, really.
              >
              > Actually, a number of Dunsany's stories are a living refutation of the
              hack
              > writer's creed that good stories have to be event-packed and full of
              Conflict.

              Maybe not Full of Conflict, but Something Should Happen... don't you think?
              Otherwise who needs three hundred pages for what could be said in a
              two-page poem?

              Oh, should I duck now?

              Other notes good too, I think I have lost too much ground to continue
              poking the tigers, and anyway it's almost time for all that quotidian
              stuff... school bus, homework, rock club, etc. Thanks for bearing with me.

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
              www.lizziewriter.com
              www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
                I'd take anything..ok, nearly anything by Dunsany over 99% of today's
                writers.
                I'm eternally grateful to Lin Carter for introducing me to Dunsany and
                Morris in the original Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series.
                Bill