Jobs in this mailing list

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
      I have worked as a sales associate in a department store, a typist/word
      processor, and a computer programmer. I currently work 2 jobs: one as an editor
      for a corporation, and one as a Weight Watchers leader. I also run a small
      press, and I am a published author.

      Joan Marie Verba
    • Walkermonk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
        I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
        grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time student
        at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
        Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and a
        couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an enjoyer of
        others' works.

        Grace Monk

      • Christine Howlett
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
          Grace, I am hugely impressed with anyone who can do all this with their
          time - that's an artform by itself!
          Christine

        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
            --

            Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense, I
            would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I

            In the meantime, I just enjoy appreciating the creativity of others.

          • Carnimiriel Isilraen
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
              Ok, I've mostly lurked since joining this list, but just had to chime in
              for this one, since I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person on here
              that wears multiple "hats" jobwise!

              I am a classical singer and voice teacher who teaches at a midwestern
              liberal arts college, a high school performing arts magnet program, and
              just about anybody else who shows up and wants to learn. My singing
              career includes everything from opera (mostly chorus and bit parts these
              days) to church/synagogue work and tap dancing in a santa suit (ok so
              that is not singing but I was hired as a singer and those of us who
              claimed to know a dance step or two had to do that too). This weekend I
              have three Christmas caroling gigs and one Chanukah concert!

              I am also a writer, mostly for my own enjoyment, but with a few articles
              published here and there in obscure publications, a ballet libretto
              (discussed at last Mythcon), and a novel in progress.

              Ellen Denham

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                >I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one
                in
                >grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                >student at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile
                >Court Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth
                >group, and a couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist --
                >I'm just an enjoyer of others' works.

                And a most perceptive one. ---djb

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                  In a message dated 12/2/2004 3:26:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  Walkermonk@... writes:

                  I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
                  grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                  student
                  at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
                  Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and
                  couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an
                  enjoyer of
                  others' works.

                  And, may I add, someone who at almost 40 looks more like 30. My thought at
                  hearing that Grace had an 18-year-old son was "I didn't think many women had
                  children at 12 anymore."

                • ChessQu654@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                    In a message dated 12/2/04 2:36:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                    Walkermonk@... writes:

                    > Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense,
                    > would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I
                    > want to be. :-) Instead, I am slowly, slowly finishing my degree, as an
                    > older,
                    > adult, non-traditional student. And the court volunteering is a commitment
                    > of
                    > only a couple of hours a week, and some weeks less than that. And I really
                    > do
                    > have wonderful children and a talented husband -- I couldn't do all this
                    > without him

                    Grace,

                    Don't sell yourself short. You deserve a lot of credit for your
                    perseverrance. So many people just give up and never return to school, especially not while
                    raising a family. I'm not sure I would have the stamina for it.

                    Happy holidays,
                    Christine

                    " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                    ~ Author Unknown ~

                  • ChessQu654@aol.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                        Ellen,

                        I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.

                        It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                        What's impressive!

                        The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                        to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!

                        Happy holidays,
                        Christine

                        " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                        ~ Author Unknown ~

                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                          Christine,
                          The line "The difficult I'll do right now / The impossible will take a
                          little while" is a lyric from a Billie Holiday torch song, "Crazy He
                          Calls Me", written by Carl Sigman and Bob Russell

                          Cheers,
                          Mike

                          ChessQu654@... wrote:

                          >Ellen,
                          >
                          >I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.
                          >
                          >It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                          >What's impressive!
                          >
                          >The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                          >to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!
                          >
                          >Happy holidays,
                          >Christine
                          >
                          >" The impossible just takes a little longer."
                          > ~ Author Unknown ~

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Stolzi
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                            "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

                            often quoted as motto of the US Army Corps of Engineers, in which my father
                            served during WWII.

                            Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."

                            A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                            quote:

                            ' The Corps of Engineers` oldest and most time honored insignia is the
                            exclusive Essayons Button. It has not changed in basic design since its
                            first definitely known use during the War of 1812. It is still the required
                            button for the uniform worn by Army Engineers Officers. '

                            As far as I know this is the =only= Army branch to have its own special
                            buttons, with the motto and a stylized castle (a picture of which is at
                            http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/hhc612th/castle.html). A small but life-size
                            Engineers' castle stands, or used to stand, near the Reservoir in Washington
                            DC.

                            Sorry, but Christmas is a family time, and I just had to give a shout-out,
                            even if a bit off topic, to my dear father.

                            Diamond Proudbrook
                          • Mike Foster
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                              With all respect to your father and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, I
                              prefer Billie Holiday's version.

                              Mike

                            • jamcconney@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                And I much prefer the Corps of Engineers version. Ain't diversity fun?
                                Anne

                              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 26, 2004
                                  From Stolzi's note:

                                  >Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."
                                  >
                                  >A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                                  Or perhaps it could also be taken to mean, "Let us try." A sort of ever
                                  onward sort of thing. I like "Excelsior" myself, which I had read in some
                                  fairy tale meant "Ever onward," and it was some family motto. Is that
                                  accurate?

                                  I just remembered to use the mythsoc link to amazon for two orders these
                                  past two days. Thanks for the reminder! And I told my dad about it as
                                  well.

                                  best,

                                  Lizzie
                                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                  lizziewriter@...
                                  amor vincit omnia
                                  www.lizziewriter.com
                                  www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
                                • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 30, 2004
                                    Thanks for the input, everyone.

                                    Thus far, I agree with the ladies. The Army quote seems best. For now, I
                                    shall leave my signature line as is.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                      There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a particular
                                      difficult problem. It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                      miraculous takes a little longer"

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                        In a message dated 12/31/2004 10:58:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                        WendellWag@... writes:

                                        There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a
                                        particular
                                        difficult problem.

                                        Excuse me, I meant "a particularly difficult problem." I wasn't saying that
                                        we keep solving the same problem over and over again. I meant that it was
                                        given to any team that solved a very difficult problem.

                                      • Mike Foster
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                          I still stay with the
                                          "Crazy He Calls Me" vote for Billie Holiday,
                                          though if
                                          Army Corps of Engineers guys
                                          or
                                          Wendell's crew
                                          start wearing white gardenias,
                                          and work on their scansion and melisma...

                                          Mike Foster

                                        • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 2, 2005
                                            In a message dated 12/31/04 7:58:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                            WendellWag@... writes:

                                            > . It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                            > miraculous takes a little longer"

                                            I think I like this best! Is there a credit to this?

                                            Best regards,