Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Freemasonry

  • ANIL ERKAN
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
      Actually when I just searched google with

      Paranoia Magazine tolkien..I came up with the following website

      http://www.darkstar1.co.uk/ring.html

      On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:51:30 -0800 (PST), Daniel Dimitroff
      <nightcrawler51@...> wrote:

      > Try Paranoia Magazine Issue #34.
      >
      > "Tolkien & Planet X"
      >
      > Always a credible source.
      >
      > Dan
      > --- anilerkan <anilerkan@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Has anybody read anywhere that there could be a relationship between
      > > LOTR and freemasonry.
      > >
      > > Especially the eye in the book (and movie) are to similar to miss.
      > >
      > > Any body have any views on this?

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
        I took a look at the article; some amazing coincidences, I agree, but I
        think that is all they are, coincidences.

        Freemasonry at its upper levels teaches what many, many Christians regard as
        unChristian doctrines (syncretism, mostly); many Evangelicals would say
        this, as well as Roman Catholics.

        This page

        http://www.clearlightcatholic.com/masonic/whataremasons.htm

        gives some details.

        Freemasonry in Europe, in my understanding, was always much more
        anti-clerical and politically revolutionary than the rather more sober
        Freemasons of England and (by derivation) N. America.

        It is true that George Washington and several other US Presidents who
        considered themselves Christians did belong to the Freemasons.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
          Neat. And I like the Orpheus talisman link.

          I don't like some of the "comparative religion" or whatever it is that I
          have read recently. I don't know if it is a newer trend or just one that I
          hadn't managed to catch up with before, but things like "Osiris-Dionysus"
          and other amalgamations of characters from divergent cultures strikes me as
          rather less illuminating than otherwise.

          It is all well and interesting to research cultures and find connections.
          But there are only so many images and many will be shared, and that does
          not mean that they are connected. Sometimes they will be, and sometimes
          they will be only in the sense that they both point to similar things (a
          ring is hard and endless and easily portable, so it lends itself to
          symbolism), and sometimes they won't mean the same thing at all, even
          though they look similar to an ignorant outsider (such as a person from a
          different time and place).

          I think things have gotten a bit sloppier since Tolkien's time. I could be
          wrong, but I think there was a lot more basic study that folks had to do
          back when. Nowadays any idiot with a keyboard can "publish" anything.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
            At 06:19 PM 12/2/2004 +0200, ANIL ERKAN wrote:

            >Actually when I just searched google with
            >Paranoia Magazine tolkien..I came up with the following website
            >http://www.darkstar1.co.uk/ring.html

            Advice: whenever you see a "hidden/secret interpretation" of anything, that
            includes a phrase like "The parallels are too striking to be entirely
            coincidental," run away quickly. Do not look back, or you risk being
            turned into a pillar of salt.
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
              Thank you, Diamond. Now I get to look up "syncretism."

              And thank you, Katie, for the other post with links.

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                As do I. I'm a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, the "ladies
                auxilliary" of the Masons. As was my aunt (a devout Baptist). We also
                have a Catholic woman in our Chapter. OES these days is a guttering
                candle, and mostly, we do charitable work.

                However, Masons don't discuss the intricacies of their organization, even
                with members of the OES.

                As for Tolkien's connection with Masonry: I don't think so. First of all,
                he was meeting with the Inklings at the Eagle and Child and in CSL's rooms.
                Being a Mason (esp. during the period in which he could have been enrolled)
                takes time. Since reading his letters, I'm struck with how little time he
                felt he had for writing; I think he'd have invested any spare time into
                writing, rather than going to more meetings. (Though Charles Williams was a
                member of the Order of the Golden Dawn. IIRC, he resigned from that group.
                I think.) The Paranoia article was interesting, but mostly for what you
                learn about Rosicrucians. ---djb

                I took a look at the article; some amazing coincidences, I agree, but I
                think that is all they are, coincidences.

                Freemasonry at its upper levels teaches what many, many Christians regard as
                unChristian doctrines (syncretism, mostly); many Evangelicals would say
                this, as well as Roman Catholics.

                This page

                http://www.clearlightcatholic.com/masonic/whataremasons.htm

                gives some details.

                Freemasonry in Europe, in my understanding, was always much more
                anti-clerical and politically revolutionary than the rather more sober
                Freemasons of England and (by derivation) N. America.

                It is true that George Washington and several other US Presidents who
                considered themselves Christians did belong to the Freemasons.

                Diamond Proudbrook

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                    Stolzi's comment is apt. The only thing less likely than JRRT being a
                    Mason was him being a New York Yankees' fan.

                    Mike

                    Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

                  • AMV Howard
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                      However, the original question was asked in connection with the Eye of
                      Sauron, a fairly clear symbol of evil. Is it not then possible that
                      Tolkien was appropriating a well-known (was it well-known at the
                      time?) Masonic image as a way to speak against the order?

                      /A

                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                        On Dec 3, 2004, at 10:32 PM, AMV Howard wrote:

                        > However, the original question was asked in connection with the Eye of
                        > Sauron, a fairly clear symbol of evil. Is it not then possible that
                        > Tolkien was appropriating a well-known (was it well-known at the
                        > time?) Masonic image as a way to speak against the order?

                        It's on the back of every (US) dollar bill.
                      • Stolzi
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                          > On Dec 3, 2004, at 10:32 PM, AMV Howard wrote:
                          >
                          > > However, the original question was asked in connection with the Eye of
                          > > Sauron, a fairly clear symbol of evil. Is it not then possible that
                          > > Tolkien was appropriating a well-known (was it well-known at the
                          > > time?) Masonic image as a way to speak against the order?
                          >
                          > It's on the back of every (US) dollar bill.

                          Cleanse thyself of evil, Carl: send me all your dollars.

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                            > As for Tolkien's connection with Masonry: I don't think so. First of
                            all,
                            > he was meeting with the Inklings at the Eagle and Child and in CSL's
                            rooms.
                            > Being a Mason (esp. during the period in which he could have been
                            enrolled)
                            > takes time. Since reading his letters, I'm struck with how little time he
                            > felt he had for writing; I think he'd have invested any spare time into
                            > writing, rather than going to more meetings.

                            >> But this is really far beside the point!

                            Actually, no, it's not. I'm making an argument from the standpoint of
                            *practical reasoning,* not from moral principle. I do not begin to suggest
                            that Tolkien WAS a Mason, but provide a very salutory reason why he would
                            not even consider it, simply because he would not want to attend the
                            meetings required. Aside from the moral questions, time was a major factor
                            for JRRT. He was more interested in writing than in going to meetings
                            (unless they were with the Inklings.) So the likelihood of his being a
                            Mason reduces all the more, quite apart from his obedience to Church
                            teaching, which would have come first, I'm sure.

                            > Is there anyone here who wants to suggest Tolkien was playing a double
                            > game with his Church? The Church heloved so dearly and for which (he
                            > believed) his mother gave her life? =I= for one certainly wouldn't
                            suggest > it. That Church imposed EXCOMMUNICATION,by canon law, upon any
                            Catholic > who joined the Masons. Tolkien was awell-educated man (to say
                            the least!) > who would have known this perfectly well.

                            Indeed; and for the reasons I cited above, I doubt he would have joined
                            the Knights of Columbus or a similar English group (assuming they existed
                            at that time.)

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                              On Dec 4, 2004, at 1:55 PM, Stolzi wrote:

                              > Cleanse thyself of evil, Carl: send me all your dollars.

                              Too late, I've already sent them all to eBay and Amazon!

                              Carl
                            • Stolzi
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 4, 2004
                                  Church and the Rosicrucians were =terra incognita= to your average
                                  magazine-reading middle-American Protestant male in my youth (and even
                                  now,
                                  I suppose), both may have gotten takers.

                                  The Ancient Wisdom has now made it to a more modern venue, the Web:

                                  Has it also made it to the Tolkenian publishing world?

                                  Robert Ellwood's book, "Frodo's Quest" was published by the Theosophical
                                  Publ. House. Are they related to the Rosicrucians? AMORC not mentioned
                                  on their website...

                                  Cheers,

                                  Beth

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 5, 2004
                                    In a message dated 12/2/2004 3:06:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    Stolzi@... writes:

                                    It is true that George Washington and several other US Presidents who
                                    considered themselves Christians did belong to the Freemasons.

                                    It isn't really clear how Christian some of our founding fathers were.
                                    About Jefferson, there's no doubt that he was more of a Deist, since we have his
                                    writings about religious subjects. He published a "version" of the New
                                    Testament, which was a "cut out the things you don't like" version. Franklin also
                                    was a Deist. Washington it's harder to tell about. He gave lip service to
                                    being an Anglican/Episcopalian, but his writings make him sound more like a
                                    Deist. All this is irrelevant, in my view, to whether you agree with their
                                    political views. In my opinion, it's not necessary to agree with someone's
                                    politics to agree with their religion, and it's not necessary to agree with
                                    someone's religion to agree with their politics.

                                  • Stolzi
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 5, 2004