Re: [mythsoc] cultural mutual incomprehension

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
      Lizzie, I explained the "banning the Declaration of Independence" lie in my
      passages of the Declaration in religious proselytizing handouts that he was
      illegally giving to his students. He was ordered to stop.

      Since Steve thinks we coasters are all porn-lovers, let me put it this way.
      Let's say there was a porn movie in which an actor, at the moment of
      ecstacy, blurted out the phrase "life, liberty, and the pursuit of
      happiness!" And let's say Steve was a school principal who ordered that
      movie not to be shown in classrooms.

      He would be just as guilty of "banning the Declaration of Independence" as
      the school principal in the real-life case.

      This is a non-story that certain right wing-nuts are trying to make out of
      nothing. I live in the school district where this took place, and I don't
      even recall reading anything about it in the papers. But it's not being
      supressed, because I found enough when I looked for it.

      David Bratman
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
        lol Thank you, David. I did see your summary, and this follow-up was very
        helpful. I wonder why I didn't get an irate email forwarding of the story
        from my dad (who is probably one of those right wing-nuts).

        Most porn is such garbage, it's almost as bad as regular TV.

        I would like to see California some day. I hear you have great produce,
        year-round outdoor sports weather, and of course, those redwood trees up in
        the north. The rest of us are just envious (or "jealous" as they say).

        best,

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...