Re: [mythsoc] Jobs in this mailing list

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
      Yes, welcome! And in Byzantium, no less!

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
        I have worked as a sales associate in a department store, a typist/word
        processor, and a computer programmer. I currently work 2 jobs: one as an editor
        for a corporation, and one as a Weight Watchers leader. I also run a small
        press, and I am a published author.

        Joan Marie Verba
      • Walkermonk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
          I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
          grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time student
          at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
          Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and a
          couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an enjoyer of
          others' works.

          Grace Monk

        • Christine Howlett
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
            Grace, I am hugely impressed with anyone who can do all this with their
            time - that's an artform by itself!
            Christine

          • Walkermonk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
              --

              Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense, I
              would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I

              In the meantime, I just enjoy appreciating the creativity of others.

            • Carnimiriel Isilraen
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                Ok, I've mostly lurked since joining this list, but just had to chime in
                for this one, since I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person on here
                that wears multiple "hats" jobwise!

                I am a classical singer and voice teacher who teaches at a midwestern
                liberal arts college, a high school performing arts magnet program, and
                just about anybody else who shows up and wants to learn. My singing
                career includes everything from opera (mostly chorus and bit parts these
                days) to church/synagogue work and tap dancing in a santa suit (ok so
                that is not singing but I was hired as a singer and those of us who
                claimed to know a dance step or two had to do that too). This weekend I
                have three Christmas caroling gigs and one Chanukah concert!

                I am also a writer, mostly for my own enjoyment, but with a few articles
                published here and there in obscure publications, a ballet libretto
                (discussed at last Mythcon), and a novel in progress.

                Ellen Denham

              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                  >I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one
                  in
                  >grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                  >student at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile
                  >Court Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth
                  >group, and a couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist --
                  >I'm just an enjoyer of others' works.

                  And a most perceptive one. ---djb

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                    In a message dated 12/2/2004 3:26:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    Walkermonk@... writes:

                    I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
                    grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                    student
                    at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
                    Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and
                    couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an
                    enjoyer of
                    others' works.

                    And, may I add, someone who at almost 40 looks more like 30. My thought at
                    hearing that Grace had an 18-year-old son was "I didn't think many women had
                    children at 12 anymore."

                  • ChessQu654@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                      In a message dated 12/2/04 2:36:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      Walkermonk@... writes:

                      > Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense,
                      > would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I
                      > want to be. :-) Instead, I am slowly, slowly finishing my degree, as an
                      > older,
                      > adult, non-traditional student. And the court volunteering is a commitment
                      > of
                      > only a couple of hours a week, and some weeks less than that. And I really
                      > do
                      > have wonderful children and a talented husband -- I couldn't do all this
                      > without him

                      Grace,

                      Don't sell yourself short. You deserve a lot of credit for your
                      perseverrance. So many people just give up and never return to school, especially not while
                      raising a family. I'm not sure I would have the stamina for it.

                      Happy holidays,
                      Christine

                      " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                      ~ Author Unknown ~

                    • ChessQu654@aol.com

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                          Ellen,

                          I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.

                          It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                          What's impressive!

                          The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                          to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!

                          Happy holidays,
                          Christine

                          " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                          ~ Author Unknown ~

                        • Mike Foster
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                            Christine,
                            The line "The difficult I'll do right now / The impossible will take a
                            little while" is a lyric from a Billie Holiday torch song, "Crazy He
                            Calls Me", written by Carl Sigman and Bob Russell

                            Cheers,
                            Mike

                            ChessQu654@... wrote:

                            >Ellen,
                            >
                            >I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.
                            >
                            >It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                            >What's impressive!
                            >
                            >The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                            >to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!
                            >
                            >Happy holidays,
                            >Christine
                            >
                            >" The impossible just takes a little longer."
                            > ~ Author Unknown ~

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Stolzi
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                              "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

                              often quoted as motto of the US Army Corps of Engineers, in which my father
                              served during WWII.

                              Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."

                              A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                              quote:

                              ' The Corps of Engineers` oldest and most time honored insignia is the
                              exclusive Essayons Button. It has not changed in basic design since its
                              first definitely known use during the War of 1812. It is still the required
                              button for the uniform worn by Army Engineers Officers. '

                              As far as I know this is the =only= Army branch to have its own special
                              buttons, with the motto and a stylized castle (a picture of which is at
                              http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/hhc612th/castle.html). A small but life-size
                              Engineers' castle stands, or used to stand, near the Reservoir in Washington
                              DC.

                              Sorry, but Christmas is a family time, and I just had to give a shout-out,
                              even if a bit off topic, to my dear father.

                              Diamond Proudbrook
                            • Mike Foster
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                With all respect to your father and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, I
                                prefer Billie Holiday's version.

                                Mike

                              • jamcconney@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                  And I much prefer the Corps of Engineers version. Ain't diversity fun?
                                  Anne

                                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 26, 2004
                                    From Stolzi's note:

                                    >Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."
                                    >
                                    >A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                                    Or perhaps it could also be taken to mean, "Let us try." A sort of ever
                                    onward sort of thing. I like "Excelsior" myself, which I had read in some
                                    fairy tale meant "Ever onward," and it was some family motto. Is that
                                    accurate?

                                    I just remembered to use the mythsoc link to amazon for two orders these
                                    past two days. Thanks for the reminder! And I told my dad about it as
                                    well.

                                    best,

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 30, 2004
                                      Thanks for the input, everyone.

                                      Thus far, I agree with the ladies. The Army quote seems best. For now, I
                                      shall leave my signature line as is.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                        There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a particular
                                        difficult problem. It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                        miraculous takes a little longer"

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                          In a message dated 12/31/2004 10:58:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                          WendellWag@... writes:

                                          There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a
                                          particular
                                          difficult problem.

                                          Excuse me, I meant "a particularly difficult problem." I wasn't saying that
                                          we keep solving the same problem over and over again. I meant that it was
                                          given to any team that solved a very difficult problem.

                                        • Mike Foster
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                            I still stay with the
                                            "Crazy He Calls Me" vote for Billie Holiday,
                                            though if
                                            Army Corps of Engineers guys
                                            or
                                            Wendell's crew
                                            start wearing white gardenias,
                                            and work on their scansion and melisma...

                                            Mike Foster

                                          • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 2, 2005
                                              In a message dated 12/31/04 7:58:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                              WendellWag@... writes:

                                              > . It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                              > miraculous takes a little longer"

                                              I think I like this best! Is there a credit to this?

                                              Best regards,