Re: [mythsoc] Re: cultural mutual incomprehension

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
      Frankly, I didn't feel the urge to scroll down, given the first couple of
      posts I saw. I'll hear about this little anecdote some other time I
      suppose.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      http://www.weberrific.org/2004/11/declaration-of-independence-banned.html

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
        Lizzie, I explained the "banning the Declaration of Independence" lie in my
        passages of the Declaration in religious proselytizing handouts that he was
        illegally giving to his students. He was ordered to stop.

        Since Steve thinks we coasters are all porn-lovers, let me put it this way.
        Let's say there was a porn movie in which an actor, at the moment of
        ecstacy, blurted out the phrase "life, liberty, and the pursuit of
        happiness!" And let's say Steve was a school principal who ordered that
        movie not to be shown in classrooms.

        He would be just as guilty of "banning the Declaration of Independence" as
        the school principal in the real-life case.

        This is a non-story that certain right wing-nuts are trying to make out of
        nothing. I live in the school district where this took place, and I don't
        even recall reading anything about it in the papers. But it's not being
        supressed, because I found enough when I looked for it.

        David Bratman
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
          lol Thank you, David. I did see your summary, and this follow-up was very
          helpful. I wonder why I didn't get an irate email forwarding of the story
          from my dad (who is probably one of those right wing-nuts).

          Most porn is such garbage, it's almost as bad as regular TV.

          I would like to see California some day. I hear you have great produce,
          year-round outdoor sports weather, and of course, those redwood trees up in
          the north. The rest of us are just envious (or "jealous" as they say).

          best,

          Lizzie