Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Freemasonry (and NATIONAL TREASURE)

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
      I wrote just now that Tolkien was a Roman Catholic; now I add:

      A friend and member of the Society (but he does not post here) wrote to me
      after seeing NATIONAL TREASURE:

      "yes, Maryland's Charles Carroll, who died in 1832, was the last surviving
      signer of the Declaration of Independence. But he was a Mason? Not likely,
      since he was also the only Catholic signer (a factoid drilled into me in
      parochial school). But the plot of the movie requires him to be a Mason."

      Actually I'd rather like to see the movie. It gives apparently the same
      kind of thrills as DA VINCI CODE without the latter's ridiculous (and rather
      offensive to Christians) take on Christ, and besides, I like Nicholas Cage.

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
        At 08:46 AM 12/2/2004 -0600, Stolzi quoted:

        >"yes, Maryland's Charles Carroll, who died in 1832, was the last surviving
        >signer of the Declaration of Independence. But he was a Mason? Not likely,
        >since he was also the only Catholic signer (a factoid drilled into me in
        >parochial school). But the plot of the movie requires him to be a Mason."

        Which is pretty silly, as a number of the other Signers were in fact
        Masons. Just drop the "last surviving Signer" bit. I always thought the
        function of the last surviving member of some group was to drink a bottle
        of wine or something like that.

        >Actually I'd rather like to see the movie. It gives apparently the same
        >kind of thrills as DA VINCI CODE without the latter's ridiculous (and rather
        >offensive to Christians) take on Christ, and besides, I like Nicholas Cage.

        Or you could read the Da Vinci Code parody by Henry Beard (co-author, as
        the cover blurb says, of Bored of the Rings): The Dick Cheney Code.
        Probably a lot more enlightening than any of the others.

        As for liking Nicholas Cage, I liked him until he started making a lot of
        lousy movies. Case in point ...

        David Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2004
          In a message dated 12/2/2004 9:53:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          Actually I'd rather like to see the movie. It gives apparently the same
          kind of thrills as DA VINCI CODE without the latter's ridiculous (and rather
          offensive to Christians) take on Christ, and besides, I like Nicholas Cage.

          _National Treasure_ doesn't really work. I see what it's trying for, but
          the jokes just aren't funny enough, the adventure isn't thrilling enough, and
          the characters aren't interesting enough. It's a xerox of a xerox of _Raiders
          of the Lost Ark_.